HERE’S TO THE WINNERS
Morristown (28-2): Logan Laster scored 24 points, grabbed 13 rebounds, and handed out 10 assists for the No. 4 Yellow Jackets in their 89-60 win over No. 3 Southwood in the Class 1A final.
Oak Hill (26-5): David Ahrens netted 13 points to guide the No. 6 Golden Eagles to a 56-44 victory against No. 11 Forest Park in the Class 2A title game.
Culver Academy (23-6): Deontae Craig recorded 14 points for the No. 4 Eagles in a 64-49 triumph over No. 3 Evansville Bosse in the Class 3A finale.
Warren Central (32-0): Dean Tate poured in 22 points for the top-ranked Warriors in their 54-48 victory over No. 10 for the Class 4A crown.
Southwood (25-4): Matthew Nose tallied 12 points for the Knights against Morristown.
Forest Park (25-5): Curt Hopf finished with 10 points for the Rangers against Oak Hill.
Evansville Bosse (25-5): In addition to contributing 10 points against Culver Academy, Jaylin Chinn also captured the Trester Mental Attitude for the Bulldogs.
Carmel (21-8): Cole Jenkins was limited to eight points for the Greyhounds against Warren Central.
FINAL SENSATIONAL SEVEN
- Riley (26-1): Rylen Grundy netted nine points in his final game as the No. 2 Wildcats had their season come to a close with a 63-43 loss to No. 10 Carmel in the Class 4A Lafayette semistate finale.
- Marian (21-4): Zach Lattimer’s 17 points were not enough for the No. 6 Knights in a 48-47 loss to No. 4 Culver Academy in the Class 3A Washington sectional final.
- NorthWood (18-6): Caleb Lung tallied 18 points, but the Panthers still came up on the short end of a 66-51 decision to Marion in the Class 3A Marion regional semifinals.
- Washington (15-9): Demarcus Vaughn scored 18 points, but the Panthers dropped a 50-47 overtime contest to Marian in the Class 3A Washington sectional semifinals.
- Mishawaka (14-9): Dylan Hall had 13 points for the Cavemen in a 52-48 loss to Penn in the Class 4A Mishawaka sectional opener.
- Saint Joseph (15-9): Brady Powers poured in 24 points, but the Indians still had their season end with a 77-44 loss to Culver Academy in the Class 3A Washington sectional semifinals.
- Penn (14-10): Noah Applegate recorded 23 points in the Kingsmen’s 60-47 setback to Riley in the Class 4A Mishawaka sectional semifinals.
Elkhart Memorial (14-13): Hank Smith came up with 23 points for the Chargers in their 75-68 loss to Riley in the Class 4A Michigan City regional finale.
Glenn (13-9): Zac Mago racked up 20 points in the Falcons’ 56-37 loss to Marian in the Class 3A Washington sectional semifinals.
Northridge (13-11): Connor Utley contributed 16 points for the Raiders in their 62-50 loss to Elkhart Memorial in the Class 4A Elkhart sectional title game.
Plymouth (13-10): Kadin McCrammer managed 14 points in the Pilgrims’ 66-52 loss to Plymouth in the Class 4A Elkhart sectional opener.
The 2017-18 season closed on a downer as I went 2-2 (50 percent) with the state finals. My final record was 286-92, which left me at 76 percent for the year.