FORT WAYNE, Ind. – After a marathon doubleheader last night in which the Titans split with Robert Morris, the Indiana University South Bend baseball team bounced back and defeated NCAA Division I opponent, Fort Wayne by a score of 11-10.
Score: IU South Bend def. Fort Wayne, 11-10
Records: IU South Bend 14-23 | Fort Wayne 6-28
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana | Mastodon Field
- Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) doubled in his first at-bat scoring Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) after McCool reached in an infield single.
- Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) laid down a bunt and beat it out scoring Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan). A throwing error on the play allowed Nieves to score giving the Titans a 3-0 lead.
- A solo home run from Fort Wayne cut the Titan lead to 3-1 after one complete inning.
- The Mastodons plated three in the bottom of the third to take a 4-3 advantage.
- Tanner Wesp (FR/Charlestown, Indiana) reached on a leadoff single in the fourth and later scored on a McCool single to even the game at four.
- Fort Wayne answered with four runs in the bottom of the fourth to go ahead 8-4.
- IU South Bend got two runs back in the fifth on an Austin Thomas (SO/Crown Point, Indiana) single.
- Mangus launched his 12th homerun of the year to make it a one-run game in the sixth.
- IU South Bend added four more runs in the inning to take an 11-8 lead.
- After a run in the bottom of the sixth the Mastodons added another in the eighth on a solo shot to make it 11-10.
- Andy Ross (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) pitched around a leadoff single in the ninth to earn the save. Brett Bashaw (SO/Kalamazoo, Michigan) earned the win going two innings allowing five runs on four hits.
- McCool finished with three hits and three RBI while Thomas added two hits and three RBI.
- The Titans will jump back into CCAC action on Friday as they travel to Trinity Christian for game one of a three-game series.