MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College baseball team got the bats going on Wednesday afternoon at Jenkins Stadium, outlasting the Goshen Maple Leafs 12-8 to snap a five-game losing skid. Collin Affolder and Kenny Koblentz provided the fireworks offensively while Sean Luzon locked down the Maple Leafs late for the win.
- Score: Bethel def. Goshen 12-8
- Records: Bethel (11-21, 3-13) | Goshen (14-19, 6-9)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Goshen – not rated
- Location: Jenkins Stadium | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Collin Affolder: 3-3, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Kenny Koblentz: 2-3, HR, 3 RBI, R
- Andrew Miranda: 2-3, 2B, 2 R
- Mason Love: 2-5, 2 RBI, 1 R
- Sean Luzon: 1 IP, W, H, 2 K
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots jumped out to a 2-0 lead after three innings but gave up four runs in the top of the fourth to fall behind 4-2.
- Kenny Koblentz delivered the first big blow for the Pilots with a go-ahead three-run home run in the bottom of the fourth, his first extra-base hit of the season to give the Pilots a 5-4 advantage.
- The Maple Leafs answered with three runs in the next two innings to take a 7-5 lead after six innings of play. Mason Love gave the Pilots the lead back in the bottom of the seventh with a two-out, two-run single to center to push the Pilots ahead 8-7.
- After a lead-off triple and a sacrifice fly tied the game up in the top of the eighth, the Pilots reached on consecutive singles to open the bottom half of the inning. After a sac bunt by Andrew Miranda and Luke Adams was hit by a pitch to load the bases, Collin Affolder gave the Pilots the lead for good with a two-run single to left field.
- The Pilots added two more runs in the bottom of the eighth and put the Maple Leafs down in order in the ninth to garner their third Crossroads League win of the season.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Fort Wayne on Friday and Saturday for three games in two days. The single nine-inning game on Friday is scheduled to start at 3:00 pm, while a double header on Saturday is set for 1:00 pm.