Positively Promoting the Student Athlete Since 1992

Badgers tie Notre Dame

Pelton-Byce scores equalizer with 26.8 seconds left in regulation


MADISON, Wis. — After an absolute battle until the very end, one in which Ty Pelton-Byce scored the tying goal with 26.8 seconds left in regulation, the No. 5 Wisconsin men’s hockey team (15-8-1, 13-6-0-0-1-1 Big Ten) skated to a 5-5 overtime tie against Notre Dame (11-12-1, 8-10-1-2-2-1 Big Ten). The Fighting Irish claimed the extra point in the shootout.

A surge of goals from the Fighting Irish in the third period forced the Badgers on their heels, but UW responded in the final minute to send the game into overtime.

Notre Dame took an early lead for the second game in a row. Trevor Janicke scored to put his team up one, assisted by Jesse Lansdell and Colin Theisen at 4:38 in the first period.

Ty Pelton-Byce took advantage of a loose puck to tie the game 1-1 at 14:55 in the first period. Notre Dame goaltender Dylan St. Cyr scrambled to cover the puck after Pelton-Byce’s initial shot. Roman Ahcan and Dylan Holloway each had a chance before Pelton-Byce buried the puck.

The Badgers took the lead in the second period after another scramble in the blue paint. This time it was Roman Ahcan who found the back of the net, quite literally as he fell into the goal cage following his shot. Holloway and Emberson picked up assists on the Badgers’ go-ahead goal.

Cole Caufield jumped in on the scoring action before the period was over with a goal at 19:39. Tyler Inamoto cycled the puck to Pelton-Byce on the blue line, who made a cross-ice pass to Caufield below the dot. Before St. Cyr could slide over to make the save, the puck was already in the back of the net and the Badgers headed into the final 20 minutes up 3-2.

Notre Dame scored a pair of goals in quick succession to even the game 3-3. Alex Steeves scored a power-play goal at 7:18 in the third, assisted by Nick Leivermann and Landon Slaggert. Just a minute later, Colin Theisen scored to tie the game with help from Max Ellis.

However, the tie was quickly broken by none other than Linus Weissbach, who notched his 100th and 101st career points a day prior. Weissbach, assisted by Cole Caufield and Pelton-Byce, tapped the puck in right on the doorstep at 11:11 in the third to put Wisconsin up 4-3.

The Fighting Irish responded quickly, tying the game again at 13:42 with a goal from Alex Steeves, assisted by Graham and Landon Slaggert. UND took a 5-4 lead after Solag Bakich netted one from Ellis.

The Badgers pulled goaltender Cameron Rowe, opted for the extra skater and on an offensive-zone faceoff, Holloway sent the puck straight back to Pelton-Byce, who fired it past St. Cyr with 26.8 seconds on the clock.

Despite a couple of close chances in overtime, including a Notre Dame power play, neither team scored in the extra period. Notre Dame ultimately claimed the extra point with a 1-0 edge in the shootout.

Notes to know:

  • Senior Ty Pelton-Byce recorded his first UW four-point game with two goals and two assists
  • Wisconsin is now 13-0-1 when leading after two periods
  • Sophomore Cole Caufield tallied his national-best 19th goal of the season.