Lady Pilots Win Season Opener
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College Lady Pilots women’s basketball team opened the season with a 69-62 victory over Roosevelt (Ill.) in the Wiekamp Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon. Kelsey Brickner was one of three Pilots with at least three steals in the game and finished with a game-high 22 points.
- Game Score:Bethel def. Roosevelt 69-62
- Records: Bethel (1-0) | Roosevelt (0-1)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated | Roosevelt – not rated
- Location:Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Kelsey Brickner: 22 pts, 8 rebs, 4 stl, 10-12 ft
- Kamala Glenn: 16 pts, 6 reb, 3 stl
- Jessica Erwin: 15 pts, 6-6 fg, 2 ast
- Maci Heimlich: 6 pts, 4 reb, 5 ast
- Michelle Moraitis: 5 ast, 4 stl, 3 reb
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Lady Pilots’ 13 steals in the game is tied for the second-most in the Eric Gingerich era. The Lady Pilots forced Roosevelt into 27 turnovers. Kelsey Brickner set a new career-high with 4 pilfers of the Lakers.
- The Lady Pilots got to the line 25 times, converting on 20 of them—also tied for the second-most in the Eric Gingerich era.
- The Lady Pilots won their season-opener for the first time since 2015.
- The Lady Pilots ended their two-game losing streak against Roosevelt to improve to 3-2 all-time against the Lakers.
QUOTES FROM COACH GINGERICH
- “It was great for our team to finally get on the court and compete against someone other than ourselves. We had a fantastic team effort all the way around and it started with our defensive disposition from the tip. We have a lot to clean up, but this was a great way to kick off our season. Well-deserved win for our team.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Lady Pilots travel across town to Notre Dame, Indiana to take on Holy Cross (Ind.) on Tuesday, October 30 with a 5:30 tip-off.