MISHAWAKA – Bethel Men’s Basketball jumped out to an early lead and pushed back a late Taylor run to record a 94-85 victory on Wednesday night in the Wiekamp Athletic Center. TreVion Crews recorded a game-high 26 points on 9-14 from the field, while adding 5 assists and 5 rebounds for the Pilots.
- Score: Bethel def. Taylor 94-85
- Records: Bethel (13-2, 5-1) | Taylor (8-7, 2-5)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – RV | Taylor – NR
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- TreVion Crews: 26 pts, 5 reb, 5 ast
- Zac Owens: 16 pts, 3 stl, 2-5 3-pt
- Nathan Aerts: 10 pts, 7 reb, 5 ast
- Jared DeHart: 14 pts, 4 ast, 6-6 ft
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots led by as many as 23 points in the second half, but the Trojans used a 29-13 run to close to their closest margin of 80-73 with 3:30 left before the Pilots closed the door on the Trojans.
- The Pilots shot 66.7-percent from the field in the first half and made 12-15 from the free throw line but shot just 34.3-percent in the second half.
- The Pilots outscored the Trojans in points off turnovers 24-13.
- The Pilots pulled within a half game of Indiana Wesleyan for the Crossroads League lead.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH DRABYN
- “I thought our guys got off to a really good start and had the right mentality. We executed what we needed to offensively and got great looks. And we executed the game plan defensively as well. The tempo was in our favor as we played with good pace.”
- “Towards the end of the first half, we lost our edge and the pace that we were playing with and Taylor took advantage. They did a great job of continuing to fight and put themselves in position to come back. We have to do a better job of regrouping and getting back to who we are quicker. But I am proud of how we finished the game.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Lincoln, Illinois for a non-conference matchup against Lincoln College on Friday at 4:00 pm.