Pilots Survive Scare in Season Opener
MISHAWAKA – Bethel Men’s Basketball earned a win in their season opener on Friday evening, surviving a 21-point first half deficit to come back and defeat IU Northwest 93-88 in the Wiekamp Athletic Center. TreVion Crews led the Pilots with 24 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals, while fellow senior Zac Owens added 19 points and a team-high 5 assists.
- Score: Bethel def. IU Northwest 93-88
- Records: Bethel (1-0) | IU Northwest (1-2)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – NR | IU Northwest – NR
- Location:Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- TreVion Crews: 24 pts, 9 reb, 4 ast, 3 stl
- Zac Owens: 19 pts, 4 reb, 5 ast
- Nathan Aerts: 14 pts, 5 reb, 2 stl
- Wesley Burse: 10 pts, 5 reb, 4-8 fg
- Jared DeHart: 17 pts, 4 reb, 4-7 fg
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots trailed by as many as 21 points (34-13, 11:52) in the first half but closed the gap to a six-point deficit at halftime.
- The Pilots took the lead at 71-70—their first since it was 3-2—and retook the lead for good on four straight free throws by TreVion Crews to make it 84-80.
- Crews moved past Kyle Sears for 33rd in program history in career scoring.
- Jared DeHart recorded a career-high 7-10 from the free throw line.
- The Pilots improve to 51-12 to begin a season and have won 23 consecutive season-opening ballgames.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots take on Lourdes on Saturday at 5:00 pm in the final game of the BU Tip-Off Classic.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH DRABYN
- “First of all, I am happy that we are playing basketball and grateful for the opportunity during these times.”
- “I did not think we started the game with much purposeful effort on either end and that was disappointing. It’s my job as the head coach to get them ready to play and we did not get off to a good start. It took us awhile to get going and IU Northwest gained confidence in the process. We had several spurts in the game when we played with great effort and energy to get us back in the game, but just weren’t able to get the lead and sustain it.”
- “We missed a good amount of shots at the rim, free throws, and 3 pointers that we normally make at a higher clip. But, I am proud of the players for sticking with it and finding a way to win against a tough and scrappy opponent. I am looking forward to seeing our guys compete tomorrow against a really good Lourdes team.”