MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College baseball team needed two wins to keep their Crossroads League postseason hopes alive but fell just short in splitting a double header against Marian on Saturday afternoon. Jesse Zepeda said goodbye to Jenkins Stadium in historic fashion, going for six hits and nine runs batted in across both games, including a three-run shot. Zepeda tallied 11 RBIs and six runs scored over the three-game series this weekend.
- Game 1 Score: Bethel def. Marian 8-7
- Game 2 Score: Marian def. Bethel 13-12
- Records: Bethel (16-26, 7-18) | Marian (19-24, 13-12)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Marian – not rated
- Location:Jenkins Stadium | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Jesse Zepeda: 6-9, HR, 2B, 9 RBI, 4 R
- Collin Affolder: 4-6, 3 R
- Eric Kelver: 3-8, 3 R
- Brandon Boshaw: 1.0 IP, 2 R
- Caleb Keehner: 3.0 IP, W, L, 2 ER, 7 H, 2 K, 2 BB
- Andrew Miranda: 2-8, HR, 3 RBI, R, SB
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Knights jumped out to a 5-0 lead in game one, just like Friday’s game, but the Pilots responded to take an 8-5 lead after a six-run fifth inning.
- Freshman Andrew Miranda dealt the big blow, with a three-run blast to right field on the first pitch he saw to give the Pilots the lead for good.
- The Pilots jumped out to a five-run lead after an inning of play in the nightcap. Jesse Zepeda provided the fireworks with a three-run home run. The Knights responded with three runs in each the second and third innings to take a 6-5 lead. The see-saw affair continued as the Pilots plated five in the fifth inning to grab a 10-5 lead back.
- The Knights immediately responded in the top of the sixth inning to surge ahead 12-10. They tacked on a much-needed insurance run in the top of the ninth as the Pilots two-run rally in the last at bat fell just short.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots pick up a non-conference game against IU South Bend on Monday evening at 7:00 pm at Newton Park in Lakeville before finishing the season with a double header at Grace on Tuesday. With the loss today, the Pilots are eliminated from postseason contention.