INDIANAPOLIS – The Bethel University men’s basketball team scored a huge boost to their NAIA postseason hopes with an 85-77 upset win over No. 5 Marian. The 7-seed Pilots used a career night from Jared DeHart, netting a career-high 25 points, to secure the upset in the Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinals over 2-seed Marian.
- Score: Bethel def. Marian 85-77
- Records: Bethel (21-10) | Marian (24-7)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Marian – No. 5
- Location: Physical Education Center | Marian University | Indianapolis, Ind.
- TreVion Crews – 26 pts, 7 ast, 3 stl
- Jared DeHart – 25 pts, 6 reb, 5-of-6 3-pt
- Grant Gelon – 10 pts, 7 reb
- Keonte Jenkins – 9 pts, 9 reb
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots won their first Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinal game since the 2016-17 season.
- The Pilots ended their three-game losing streak against Marian.
- The Pilots hit double-digit three-pointers for the 18th time this season, but just the fourth time in the last ten games. The Pilots are 15-3 when they make at least ten three-pointers.
- Jared Dehart scored a career-high 25 points going 7-of-9 from the field, including 5-of-6 from the three-point line.
- The Pilots travel to Upland to take on the 6-seed Taylor Trojans in the Crossroads League Tournament Semifinals on Saturday at 3 pm. The Pilots lost 74-70 in Upland earlier this season on February 1.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH DRABYN
- “What a big win for our team! I am really proud of our players and staff for the work they put in. Our players came ready to play tonight. We played with effort, concentration, and were the aggressor to start the game. Jared DeHart was phenomenal getting us going in the first half. We didn’t have our best offensive first half but our defense kept us in the game. In the second half, TreVion Crews started making his shots and we were able to create some separation. I thought Filip Segota and Maxwell Newman gave us good minutes off the bench. We are excited to get back to work in preparation for Taylor on Saturday.”