SAINT PAUL, Minn. – Bethel Volleyball won the 2020 NCCAA DI Women’s Volleyball National Championship on Saturday, denying top seed and host Northwestern in five sets. The Pilots pushed back four Eagles’ match points in the fifth set and overcame a 2-0 set deficit to win their fifth national title in program history.
- Score: Bethel def. Northwestern 19-25, 21-25, 27-25, 25-23, 19-17
- Records: Bethel (20-4) | Northwestern (14-5)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – NR
- Location: Erickson Center | University of Northwestern | Saint Paul, Minn.
MATCH 1 STAT TRACKER
- Isabelle North: 20 kills 11 blocks
- Maddy Payne: 20 kills, 6 blocks
- Madyson Beaver: 7 kills, 28 assists, 13 digs
- Caroline Mullet: 25 assists, 12 digs
- Payton Hart: 9 kills, 7 digs
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- None of the Pilots three set wins were by more than the minimum two points.
- The Pilots fell behind 2 sets to none and came back to win three straight—their second match this year of overcoming a 2-0 deficit to win.
- The Eagles had four match points in the fifth set at 14-13, 15-14, 16-15, and 17-16 as the Pilots turned back the No. 1 seeds every time.
- Katie Weiss was named the NCCAA National Coach of the Year while Isabelle North was named the National Tournament MVP. Madyson Beaver and Maddy Payne were also named to the All-Tournament Team.
- North recorded the third most blocks in a single match in program history with 11—her fifth double-digit block performance of the year.
- The Pilots won their fifth NCCAA National Championship in program history, also reaching the summit in 1993, 1994, 1998, and 2007.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH WEISS
- “Incredibly proud of this awesome team! Thankful to God for all the ways he has sustained us, encouraged us, an provided for us. I’m blessed to finish 2020 with a national title! Way to go Pilots!