Upland, Ind. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s basketball team battled back from double digits down to claim an important Crossroads League road victory at Taylor, just their third victory in Odle Arena since the 1999-00 season.
- Score: Bethel def. Taylor 73-67
- Records: Bethel (17-3, 6-2) | Taylor (12-9, 3-6)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 11 | Taylor – not rated
- Location: Odle Arena | Taylor University | Upland, Ind.
- Trey’von Covington: 15 pts, 2-5 3pt, 1 blk
- Tanner Shepherd: 16 pts, 9 reb, 3 stl
- Kyle Hartman: 11 pts, 9 reb, 4 ast
- Ryan Lutz: 11 pts, 7 reb, 8-8 ft
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots improve to 3-15 in Odle Arena against the Trojans since Feb. 15, 2000.
- The Pilots outrebounded the Trojans 50-35, including game-highs of 9 rebounds each by Paul Forman, Tanner Shepherd, and Kyle Hartman—the first time since Feb. 20, 2016 that three or more Pilots have finished with at least 9 rebounds in a single game.
- The Pilots used an 25-6 run to close the first half and open the second half to grab a 50-42 lead with 8:18 remaining. The Trojans led by as many as 11 with 19 seconds left in the first half prior to the Pilot run.
- Gage Ott finished without a made field goal for the first time since Nov. 5, 2016 against Lourdes (Ohio), and for only the sixth time in his career.
FROM COACH LIGHTFOOT
- “I’m proud of how our guys competed in the second half. We were tested early and we, as coaches, challenged them at halftime. They responded with a great defensive effort. It was a grind but they found a way to get enough stops in a row to come away with a win—they don’t have to be pretty to count the same, and tonight definitely wasn’t pretty.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots return home for a rescheduled matchup against Mt. Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) on Thursday evening, scheduled for a 6 pm tip-off.
The Pilots compete in 18 intercollegiate sports for men and women. The Bethel College Athletic Department earned the NAIA Champion of Character Five-Star Gold Institution and produced 17 NAIA Scholar-Teams last season. While accumulating 3 NAIA National Championships and 32 NCCAA National Championships by 10 different athletic teams, Bethel has also produced 143 NAIA All-American honors and 309 NAIA Scholar-Athlete honors over the past decade.
Bethel College is an accredited Christian college offering associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees in more than 70 areas of study.
|Bethel (Ind.) 17-3, 6-2 CL||28||45||73|
|Taylor (Ind.) 12-9, 3-6 CL||36||31||67|
|Jan. 16, 2018|
|BETHEL (IND.)||INDV. LEADERS||TAYLOR (IND.)|
|#24 Tanner Shepherd – 16||Points||#21 Evan Crowe – 21|
|3 Players – 9||Rebounds||2 Players (#21,#25) – 6|
|#5 Kyle Hartman – 4||Assists||#13 Ryan Robinson – 5|
|BETHEL (IND.)||TEAM STATISTICS||TAYLOR (IND.)|
|38.6% (22 – 57)||Field Goals %||34.8% (24 – 69)|
|30.8% (4 – 13)||3 Point Field Goals %||25.9% (7 – 27)|
|75.8% (25 – 33)||Free Throws||75% (12 – 16)|
|8||2nd Chance Pts||6|