Capacity Crowd Sees Pilots Crush Cornerstone
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel University men’s soccer team opened their 2019 with a convincing 5-0 victory over visiting Cornerstone in front of a capacity crowd on Thursday night at Morey Field. After nearly 30 minutes of back-and-forth action, Elijah Kerr broke the seal on the scoreless season and the Pilots never looked back, adding a goal before halftime and three late goals in the second frame—all five goals by different Pilots.
- Score: Bethel def. Cornerstone 5-0
- Records: Bethel (1-0) | Cornerstone (0-1)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Cornerstone – not rated
- Location:Morey Field | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- 29’ | Elijah Kerr (BU) unassisted
- 45’ | Jose Barquin (BU) assisted by Isaac Nunez
- 71’ | Lehy Felix (BU) unassisted
- 78’ | Willian dos Santos (BU) assisted by Jose Barquin
- 89’ | Gabriel Ferreira (BU) unassisted
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Finn Popescu got the win in goal in his Pilot debut, earning a clean sheet with one save, while the Pilot defense allowed just three opponent shots total.
- Lehy Felix scored his first career goal for the Pilots.
- The Pilots outshot the Golden Eagles 24-3 in the match and earned the advantage on corner kicks 6-0.
- The Pilots won their season debut for the third straight season—and second straight year over Cornerstone.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots take on Holy Cross (Ind.) at TCU School Field in South Bend on Monday at 7:00 pm in a home game for the Pilots.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH PINTO
- “It is always good to start the season off well. Tonight, we were proud of the attitude and organization we had on and off the pitch. Huge thanks to all the students and fans than came out to support and make it a great environment.”