Day 2 – 2021 NAIA Men’s Outdoor Track & Field Championship
GULF SHORES, Ala. – [RESULTS] The second day of the 2021 NAIA Men’s Outdoor Track and Field Championship saw a new record set, six new champions crowned and six preliminary races completed at the Mickey Miller Blackwell Complex in Gulf Shores, Ala.
- Six events crowned champions: the decathlon, long jump, discus, high jump, 5,000m race walk and the 4x800m relay.
- Lee Walburn of Carroll (Mont.) pulled ahead in the final day of competing in the decathlon with a top-three finish in three of the five events that took place today. Walburn recorded a final score of 7095.
- Joseph Dotson of Southern Oregon followed Walburn with a score of 6957. Dotson posted four top-five finished in the final five events that took place on day two.
- Ineh Emmanuel of William Carey (Miss.) set a new record in the long jump that was set back in 1974 with a mark of 8.16.
- Josh Mathis won the first national title in the discus for St. Ambrose (Iowa) with a mark of 51.15.
- Shandon Reitzell of Midland (Neb.) recorded the highest mark in the high jump since 2008 with a mark of 2.19. This is also the fourth national title in the high jump for Midland (Neb.).
- Dean Freitag of Rio Grande (Ohio) won the 5,000m race walk with a time of 22:05.79. This is the third time that someone from Rio Grande (Ohio) has won the national title in this event.
- Dordt (Iowa) with a team of Anthony Ghiorso, Trey Engen, Payton Mauldon and Matthew Van Eps repeated as the 4x800m relay champions with a finish of 7:30.55.
- The defending national champion in the 800m run, Matthew Van Eps of Dordt (Iowa) advanced out to the prelims to compete in the finals on Friday.
- Midland (Neb.) overtook the No. 1 spot in the team standings with 20 total points coming from a first-place finish in the high jump and fourth-place finishes in the discus and hammer throw.
- Doane (Neb.) follows only two points shy of Midland (Neb.) gaining points from the high jump, long jump, discus, hammer throw, decathlon and javelin.
The third and final day of the 2021 NAIA Men’s Outdoor Track & Field Championship will take place on Friday, May 26. The day will open with the marathon at 6 a.m.