Eastern, Edwards Lead Boilermakers Past Ball State
- Purdue improved to 2-0 with an 84-75 win over Ball State in front of a sold-out crowd of 14,804 at Mackey Arena … Purdue is now 2-0 for the 12th time in 14 seasons under Matt Painter.
- Purdue has won nine straight games against in-state foes … Purdue has also won nine straight home games against in-state opposition.
- Purdue improved to 10-2 against Ball State, including 5-0 under Matt Painter.
- Purdue improved to 46-2 at home during the month of November under Matt Painter … Purdue has won 18 straight home games before the calendar turns to the new year … Purdue has won 16 straight home games against non-conference foes.
- Purdue improved to 85-7 since the start of the 2014-15 season, when attempting more free throws than its opponent.
- Carsen Edwards scored 23 points with five rebounds and five assists … it marked his 22nd straight double-figure scoring game and his 17th career 20-point game … through two games this year, Edwards is averaging 26.5 points, 3.5 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game … he jumped three spots into 41st on the school’s career scoring list (1,099 points).
- Matt Haarms scored a career-high 16 points with four rebounds in just 18 minutes … Evan Boudreaux added 14 points and seven rebounds in 20 minutes, giving Purdue’s two big men 30 points and 11 rebounds in 38 minutes.
- Nojel Eastern scored a career-high 12 points with nine rebounds … he also held Tayler Persons scoreless in the second half after he scored 19 points in the first half.
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Carsen Edwards scored 23 points on 8-for-22 shooting, and No. 24 Purdue pulled away from Ball State for an 84-75 victory on Saturday night.
Edwards struggled with his shooting stroke at times, but managed to contribute in a variety of ways. The junior guard also had five rebounds, five assists and blocked a shot.
The Cardinals (1-1) also got 13 points from K.J. Walton.
Eastern had six offensive rebounds, helping Purdue to a 40-29 edge on the boards.
Purdue showed its ability to weather a poor shooting half, including by its best scorer in Edwards, but it likely will see a step up in competition beginning as soon as next week.
Ball State got another solid performance from Persons, but the Cardinals are going to need more from him down the stretch to compete in Mid-American Conference play.
Purdue heads down to South Carolina to participate the Charleston Classic. Its first game is against Appalachian State on Thursday.
Ball State also will be part of the Charleston Classic. Its first game is against Virginia Tech on Thursday.