Edwards, Cline Power No. 23 Purdue into Charleston Semifinals
- Purdue improved to 3-0 with a 92-70 win over Appalachian State in the opening round of the Charleston Classic … the Boilermakers are now 3-0 for the 10th time in 14 years under head coach Matt Painter … in eight of the previous nine years, Purdue reached the NCAA Tournament … the Boilermakers improved to 11-1 all-time against the Sun Belt Conference.
- Purdue is now 32-14 under Matt Painter in 13 multi-team exempt tournaments … over the last 16 games during in-season tournaments, Purdue is now 14-2.
- Purdue has now won 95 straight games when scoring 90 or more points … the Boilermakers’ last loss when scoring 90-plus was against Iowa State on Nov, 24, 1987.
- Matt Painter needs two wins for 300 in his career at Purdue … he now owns a 298-149 record in his 14th year with the Boilermakers.
- Purdue has won 27 straight games when shooting better than 48.0 percent from the field.
- Purdue has scored at least 84 points in the first three games this year … it marks the second straight year that Purdue has cracked at least 84 points in the first three games … prior to last year, it happened was in 1986-87 … it has never happened in four straight games.
- Carsen Edwards became the first player since Glenn Robinson in 1993-94 to score at least 23 points in the first three games of the season, now with 78 points … it’s the most points during the first three games of the season since Robinson had 94 points in the first three games … Edwards has scored in double figures in 23 straight games dating to last year … he moved into 39th on the school’s career scoring list (1,124 points).
- Ryan Cline scored a career-high 21 points, adding three assists, two rebounds and two steals … Purdue is now 50-4 during his career when he has two or more assists in a game.
- Matt Haarms has 35 points, 17 rebounds and seven blocks in just 54 minutes this year … per 40 minutes, he is averaging 25.9 points, 12.6 rebounds and 5.2 blocks per game.
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Carsen Edwards had 25 points, 17 in the first half, as No. 23 Purdue powered past Appalachian State 92-70 at the Charleston Classic on Thursday.
The Boilermakers improved to 3-0. The Boilermakers will face Davidson in the semifinals at 6:30 p.m. ET, on Friday. The game will be televised by ESPNU.
Purdue took a 46-32 lead by halftime and gradually grew the lead to 26 down the stretch.
Ryan Cline added 21 points for Purdue. Edwards and Cline each hit four of their team’s 13 3-pointers.
Justin Forrest had 14 points to lead Appalachian State (1-2). The Mountaineers will take on the Wichita State-Davidson loser Friday