Freshman Fuels Pilots’ Road Win in League Opener
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Bethel College Pilots women’s volleyball team took to the road for their Crossroads League opener at Mount Vernon Nazarene on Wednesday night and came away with a come-from-behind victory behind freshman Madyson Beaver’s stellar effort. The freshman recorded the most assists by a Pilot in 61 matches to power the Pilots past the Cougars in the decisive fourth and fifth sets.
- Match Score: Bethel def. Mount Vernon Nazarene 3-2
- Records: Bethel (2-5, 1-0) | Mount Vernon Nazarene (2-3, 0-1)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated | Mount Vernon Nazarene– not rated
- Location: Ariel Arena | Mount Vernon Nazarene University | Mount Vernon, Ohio
- Madyson Beaver: 19 kills, 4 blocks, .389 hit pct.
- Payton Anderson: 46 assists, 11 kills, .526 hit pct.
- Kassandra Williams: 13 kills, 11 blocks, .385 hit pct.
- Bridget Downs: 24 digs, 6 assists
- Malerie Mech: 9 kills, 3 blocks
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Madyson Beaver tallied 19 kills in the match—a career high and the most for a Pilot in a match since Zoe Wolfenbarger’s 20 kills against Grace on September 8, 2016.
- Payton Anderson notched her third double-double of the season—and second straight—with 46 assists and 11 kills. The 11 kills is a season high while she recorded a season-high assists for the second straight match.
- Kassandra Williams continues to rack up the kills, as she has posted at least 12 kills in five of the seven matches this season and has recorded a hitting percentage of at least .333 in six of seven. She also set a career high with 11 total blocks.
QUOTES FROM COACH WEISS
- “Great win on the road tonight! It took all of us to pull out the win. Great teamwork and perseverance from the Pilots!”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots return to action next Wednesday, September 5 when they travel to Spring Arbor, Michigan to take on the Spring Arbor Cougars in Crossroads League action set for 7:00 pm.