Maple Leafs fall to 2-1 at home
GOSHEN, Ind. — The Goshen College women’s tennis team saw its quest for a three-match home winning streak halted Tuesday in a 9-0 defeat to Bethel College in Crossroads League action.
Goshen (2-3, 1-2) returned to its home court hoping for another dose of its magic from last week, when the Maple Leafs topped Mount Vernon Nazarene and Olivet at home before dropping a pair of away matches over the holiday weekend.
The Pilots (2-2, 1-2) had other ideas, as Caroline Boger swept each of the three sets she played to spark the win.
The Maple Leafs claimed four games at no. 3 doubles off the rackets of Natalie Iholtz and Mags Dutchersmith and three at no. 2 behind the play of Hannah Behm and Megan Ewing.
Bethel swept the singles matches, although both teams substituted between doubles and singles on a 90-degree afternoon. Ashley Arroyo took over the no. 6 singles spot for GC while Emili Runestad and Abbey VanDiver entered the Bethel lineup; Arroyo and VanDiver would square off in the closest singles match of the day.
After playing four times in the last six days, the Maple Leafs are off until Saturday when they visit Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion for a 10 a.m. first serve.
Full Results: Bethel 9, Goshen 0
- Taylor Freedline beat Victoria Oakes 6-0, 6-1
- Caroline Boger beat Chloe Woodward 6-0, 6-0
- Grace Haley beat Hannah Behm 6-0, 6-0
- Layla Jojo beat Megan Ewing 6-0, 6-0
- Emili Runestad beat Natalie Iholtz 6-1, 6-0
- Abbey VanDiver beat Ashley Arroyo 6-0, 6-2
- Boger/Freedline beat Oakes/Woodward 8-0
- Haley/Jojo beat Behm/Ewing 8-3
- Stephanie Cressman/Zoe Laubach beat Mags Dutchersmith/Iholtz 8-4