Grace’s offense explodes at Bethel
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – Grace’s softball team enjoyed an outburst of offense on Monday against Bethel.
The Lady Lancers poured in 25 runs on 29 hits, blasting four home runs in the process. Grace won the opening game 13-5 in a run-rule, but Bethel got revenge 13-12 in the second game.
In the opener, Grace scored in each of the first five innings to end the game early from the mercy rule. Olivia Scarbrough doubled and then scored in the top of the first to start Grace’s scoring.
In the top of the third, Britney Young sent a 2-1 pitch over the left field fence for a 2-run home run.
Grace ripped off four more runs in the top of the fourth — all with two outs in the frame. Morgan Tapscott hit an RBI single to start the scoring, and Young later drove in two runs with a double. Natalie Klingberg had an RBI single on the next at-bat to bring in Young.
The Lady Lancers (5-14, 1-6 Crossroads League) were able to end the game in the fifth with five runs. Kaitlyn Heffner set the tone with a leadoff home run, and Grace quickly loaded the bases soon after. Young singled to score a pair of runs, and Erin Lawhon then singled to score another. Andrea Castillo’s fly ball allowed Young to score for the final run of the game.
Young was dynamic, going 3-for-4 with three runs and six RBIs, and Bethany Gardner was 3-for-3.
Tapscott was 2-for-3 with two runs and an RBI, Scarbrough hit 2-for-3 with three runs scored, and Jessica Kaurich finished 2-for-4 with two runs and a run driven in.
In the second game, Grace led 4-2 after the top of the fourth inning. Young had a two-run single in the third, and Emily Bobb’s alert baserunning brought her around the basepaths to score in the fourth.
But the Pilots (4-12, 1-5 CL) retaliated by hanging six runs in the bottom of the fourth to take the lead for good. Five of those runs were scored with two outs, and the final run plated directly after an error by Grace in the field.
Lawhon’s 3-run homer in the top of the fifth kept Grace within striking distance. Bethel put the game almost out of reach by scoring five more runs over the next two innings, handing the Pilots a 13-8 lead.
The Lady Lancers nearly pulled off a memorable comeback in the seventh inning but came up one run short. Grace remarkably scored four runs to cut Bethel’s lead down to one, but the Lady Lancers’ potential tying run was thrown out at the plate to end the game.
Bobb hit 3-for-3 with 3 runs, 1 RBI and 1 stolen base, and Kaurich was 2-for-5 with 1 home run, 1 run and 3 RBIs.
Lawhon was 1-for-2 with a run and three runs driven in, and Sam Heim batted 2-for-3 with one run scored.
The Lady Lancers remain on the road Tuesday, playing at Spring Arbor in a 3 p.m. doubleheader.
Pilots Earn First League Win in Wild Double Header Split
MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College softball team earned their first Crossroads League win of the year on Monday afternoon, splitting a double header with rival Grace at Gardner Field. After losing the first game 13-5, the Pilots returned the favor, winning a wild 13-12 affair in the night cap.
- Game 1 Score: Grace def. Bethel 13-5 (5 innings)
- Game 2 Score:Bethel def. Grace 13-12
- Records: Bethel (4-12, 1-5) | Grace (5-14, 1-6)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated | Grace – not rated
- Location: Gardner Field | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
GAME 1 STAT TRACKER
- Karis Brewer: 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, R
- Megan Riley: 2-2
- Maribelle Castro: 1-2, 2B, R
- Quinn Slattman: 1-3, R, 2 SB
GAME 2 STAT TRACKER
- Quinn Slattman: 4-4, 3B, 5 RBI, 2 R, 2 SB
- Mahri Younger: 3-4, 2 R, SB
- Megan Riley: 2-4, 2B, 3 RBI
- Shelby Prows: 3-3, 2B, RBI, 2 R
- Karis Brewer: 2-4, 2 RBI, R
INSIDE THE BOXSCORES
- The Lancers scored in all five innings in game one, tacking on four and five in the fourth and fifth, respectively.
- Quinn Slattman racked up four stolen bases on the day, while adding five hits, five runs batted in, and three runs scored.
- The Pilots totaled 19 hits on the day, their most since recording 23 hits against Saint Mary-of-the-Woods on March 4, 2011.
- The Pilots travel to Goshen to take on the Maple Leafs on Tuesday with a double header set to begin at 3 pm.