HUNTINGTON, Ind. – Huntington (Ind.) was able to get to the free throw line at a high rate on Saturday and was plus-19 in made free throws as No. 4 Indiana Wesleyan University men’s basketball lost 87-84. The Foresters used a late 24-8 run to erase a 9-point Wildcat lead at the halfway point of the second half.
- Score: Huntington def. Indiana Wesleyan, 87-84
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 8-2, 2-1 Crossroads League | Huntington 5-6, 1-2 Crossroads League
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 4 | Huntington – Not ranked
- Location: Platt Arena | Huntington University | Huntington, Indiana
- Evan Maxwell: 17 points, 7-9 FG, 6 rebounds
- Kyle Mangas: 19 points, 6-9 FG, 3 assists
- Grant Smith: 10 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists
- Canaan Coffey: 11 points, 3-7 3FG, 5 rebounds
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Huntington ran off a 14-2 run to take their first lead of the second half. IWU had led 61-52 with 10:05 remaining in the game on a Ben Carlson free throw and the run gave HU a 66-63 lead, a lead they did not relinquish.
- Canaan Coffey hit a 3-pointer with 16 seconds on the clock to bring the Wildcats to within one at 85-84. IWU fouled Konner Platt with 15 seconds remaining and he connected on both free throws for an HU 87-84 advantage. Kyle Mangas took the final shot for the Wildcats but his 3 was off the mark to close out the game and the win for the Foresters.
- The Wildcats made seven more field goals in the game, including two more 3-pointers. But the Foresters were able to get to the foul line and took advantage of their opportunities. The Foresters connected on 80-percent of their free throws as they made 32-of-40 while the Wildcats struggled at a 54.2-percent clip on 13-of-24 shooting.
- Huntington commited 8 turnovers while Indiana Wesleyan had 16.
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan hosts Marian (Ind.) at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in Luckey Arena.