UPLAND, Ind. – Kamryn Buck cashed in with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh, giving the No. 2 seeded Indiana Wesleyan softball team a 6-5 Crossroads League Tournament Title Saturday. It’s the Wildcats second League Championships in four years.
- GAME 1: Taylor def. Indiana Wesleyan 5-0
- GAME 2: IWU 6, Trojans 5
- RECORDS: IWU 44-7; Taylor 43-18
INSIDE THE BOX – Game 1
- Indiana Wesleyan was four-hit in the Crossroads League Tournament Championship opening game, forcing the “if necessary” game.
- Taylor jumped on top with a run in the second, three runs in the third and added an insurance run in the sixth stanza.
- Jennah Yost accounted for two of the team’s hits while Kamryn Buck and Rebecca Schrad each accounted for a base hit.
- Mckenzey Ridge threw two innings while Danielle Munn worked three and Alayna Thomas tossed one inning. The trio combined to have five strikeouts.
- Four errors accounted for three unearned runs. The Wildcats left seven runners on base.
INSIDE THE BOX – Game 2
- IWU jumped on the board with two runs in the first frame. Miranda Wehrle reached on a walk and moved to second on a passed ball. She scored on an error moments later. With Yost at third, Chloe Tragresser lifted a sacrifice fly for a 2-0 edge.
- Taylor scored a run in the fourth and three in the fifth for a 4-2 lead. However, the Wildcats plated a run in the bottom of the fifth.
- Wehrle got things going once again with a walk. After hustling to second on a sacrifice bunt, she scored on a base hit from Tragresser, pulling the top seed within one at 4-3.
- With the bases full of Wildcats in the bottom of the sixth and one away, a wild pitch allowed Rebecca Schrad to score. Schrad, Aubrie Eckert and Becca Wyatt all reached via base on balls.
- IWU loaded the bags again and a groundout by Wehrle gave the home team a 5-4 advantage. However, Taylor knotted it with a solo homer in the top of the seventh.
- With one down in the bottom of the seventh, Trinity Medina drew a walk. Schrad bunted and Medina hustled all the way to third. Zoe Fountain came in as a pinch runner for Medina and Schrad quickly stole second, taking the double play out of effect.
- Buck quickly ended the game with a sacrifice fly to center field, clinching the title for IWU.
- The lone three hits in the game for the Wildcats came from the bats off Schrad and Tragresser. Tragresser drove in two while Buck and Wehrle had one RBI. Wehrle came around to score twice.
- Alyssa Wagner worked a complete game, picking up the victory. She struck out two batters.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Wildcats take the field again at the NAIA National Tournament starting May 17.