SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Titans lost a pair of one-run games on Wednesday as the Indiana University South Bend baseball team traveled to Saint Xavier University. IU South Bend recorded just one hit in game one and was plagued by six errors in game two.
- Game 1: Saint Xavier def. IU South Bend, 2-1
- Game 2: Saint Xavier def. IU South Bend, 4-3
- Records: IU South Bend 9-12, 2-2 CCAC | SXU 11-17, 3-1 CCAC
- Location: Chicago, Illinois | Ferrell Field
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Saint Xavier got to IU South Bend starter Paul Geha (JR/Fort Wayne, Indiana) early as they chased Geha after recording just two outs in the inning. Reliever Tyler Reece (SO/South Bend, Indiana) came in to get the last out in the bottom of the first inning to hold the Cougars to two runs.
- Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) cut the SXU lead in half in the top of the fourth as he scored Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) who reached on a walk and advanced to third on an errant throw from the SXU pitcher on a pickoff attempt.
- Reece was superb in relief as he held the Cougars to just one hit over 5.1 innings, at one time recording 12 consecutive outs.
- Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) recorded the lone hit for the Titans.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- IU South Bend scored one run in the second and one in the third to take a 2-1 advantage over the Cougars.
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) made it a 3-1 game with a sacrifice fly in the seventh scoring Austin Thomas (SO/Crown Point, Indiana) who reached on a single.
- Two errors led to two SXU runs in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game at four.
- Two more errors in the bottom of the eighth put the Cougars in front 4-3.
- Ben Wicklund (JR/Rockford, Illinois) gave the Titans seven strong innings allowing three runs on six hits.
- Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) took the loss for the Titans allowing one run on one hit in the eighth inning.
- Nick Kellams (JR/Dyer, Indiana), Tanner Wesp (FR/Charlestown, Indiana), and Thomas each recorded two hits in the loss.
- Phelps finished with two RBI.
- The Titans committed six errors.
- The Titans will host St. Francis on Saturday at School Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.