LAKEVILLE, Ind. – The Bethel College baseball team seemed headed for an 8-5 victory against IU South Bend in a home game for the Pilots under the lights at Newton Park, however the Titans struck for three in the ninth and one in the tenth to land the 9-8 victory.
- Score: IU South Bend 9-8 F/10
- Records: Bethel (16-27, 7-18) | IU South Bend (13-38)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | IU South Bend – not rated
- Location: Newton Park | Lakeville, Ind.
- Mason Love: 3-5, HR, 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Luke Adams: 2-5, 3B, R
- Syam Lafi: 2-5, 2B, R
- Sean Luzon: 2-5, 2 RBI
- Jesse Zepeda: 2-3, RBI, 2 R
- Collin Affolder: 2-6, RBI, SB
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Mason Love got the scoring started in the second with a solo home run.
- The Pilots jumped out to a 6-1 lead after three innings before the Titans closed to 8-5 after six innings of play.
- Freshman Matthew Pietsch got his twin brother, IU South Bend catcher Gregory Pietsch to ground out in the sixth inning. However, the Titan backstop was able to drive in a run on the play.
- The Titans used a two-run home run to bring the game to 8-7 with nobody out in the top of the ninth inning. After Eric Kelver struck out two of the next three, Seth Kermode nearly ended the game with a diving catch in right-center but it fell in and the Titans tied it up.
- In the 10th inning, the Titans led off the inning with a solo home run for the eventual game winner. Eric Kelver nearly walked off the game with a home run in the bottom half, but it ended up going foul down the left field line.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Winona Lake for a double header against Grace on Tuesday, beginning at 1 pm. The Pilots are eliminated from any postseason contention and will look to spoil Grace’s chances at squeaking into the conference tournament. The Lancers need two wins on Wednesday.