Crown Point, Ind. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team concluded their historic season on Sunday afternoon, falling to Olivet Nazarene University and Judson University at CCAC tournament. The Titans came out of the gate strong against ONU putting up a courageous fight against the #1 seeded team in the tournament. The Titans would ultimately fall to the Tigers 12-13 in a heartbreaking walk off in the bottom of the seventh. The Titans would never back down as they then had to face off with Judson University. The Titan bats were strong, but they were unable to pull out the victory, falling 6-8. The two losses conclude the winningest season in IUSB softball history, where the Titans pulled out 23 victories on the season, including their best ever season in the CCAC. IUSB loses five seniors to graduation; Bailey Bruce (SR/Indianapolis, Indiana), Brooke Boss (SR/Delavan, Wisconsin), Holly Weber (SR/Fort Wayne, Indiana), Kelsie West(SR/Peru, Indiana), and Shannon McCarty (SR/South Bend, Indiana).
Game 1: #21 Olivet Nazarene University def. IU South Bend, 13-12
Game 2: Judson University def. IU South Bend, 8-6
Records: IU South Bend, 23-14, 14-8 CCAC
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
• IUSB jumped out to an early lead, scoring 9 runs in the first three innings of play. ONU would come storming back to tie the came at 9 in the bottom of the fifth. Both teams scored three runs in the sixth inning to tie the game at 12 before ONU would walk it off with one run in the bottom of the seventh.
• Shelby Baker (SO/Plainfield, Indiana) had two RBIs and two base on balls
• Kat Bessler (JR/Brookston, Indiana) drove in one run for the Titans
• Nicole Grazioli (JR/Lockport, Illinois) finished 1-2 with one RBI and 3 walks
• Shannon McCarty was 2-4 with one RBI
• Savanna Schmitz (SO/Naperville, Illinois) was 3-5 with one RBI
• Brittany Vanderbrink (FR/Avon, Indiana) finished 2-4 with one double and 4 RBIs
• Holly Weber added two hits of her own for the Titans
• Becca Stevens (SO/Mooresville, Indiana) was the starting pitcher for the Titans she threw 4.1 innings, giving up 9 runs while striking out 3. Kiah Ferrell drew the loss in relief, throwing 1.2 innings and giving up 4 runs.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
• IUSB would fall behind in game two of the day before fighting back to knot the game at 3-3 in the second inning. Judson would knock in two runs in the fourth and one in the fifth to take a 6-3 advantage, but IUSB would not go down without fighting. The Titans would drive in three runs in the fifth to tie the score. However, Judson added two more runs in the sixth to take the lead for good. IUSB would continue to fight but were unable to capitalize falling to the Eagles in their final game of the season.
• Shelby Baker picked up one hit for the Titans in the nightcap
• Brooke Boss was 1-4 with a double and two RBIs
• Kat Bessler added a single for IUSB
• Nicole Grazioli was 2-4 was a double
• Shannon McCarty finished with one hit for the Titans
• Savanna Schmitz was 2-4 with one RBI
• Brittany Vanderbrink was 1-2 with a double, 3 RBIs, and one base on balls
• Holly Weber finished the game going 2-3 with a stolen base
• Kiah Ferrell started the game in the circle for the Tians before she was relieved by Aly Brickel (JR/Hicksville, Ohio). Becca Stevens threw the final three innings, suffering the loss for the Titans.
• The Titans conclude the 2019 season with an overall record of 23-14.