Milwaukee, Wisc. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team hit the road on Friday afternoon to take on the Wolves of Cardinal Stritch University. The Titans won big in game one, powered by the slugging of Nicole Grazioli (JR/Lockport, Illinois). Grazioli went 3-3 with three homeruns in game one, adding 7 RBI’s to her impressive stat line. The Titans pounded out 12 hits in the total team effort victory. The Titans fought hard in game two but came up just short, falling to the Wolves, 5-7. The double header closes out the most successful regular season in program history.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. Cardinal Stritch University, 12-3
Game 2: Cardinal Stritch University def. IU South Bend, 7-5
Records: IU South Bend, 22-12, 14-8 CCAC | Cardinal Stritch University, 18-18 10-12 CCAC
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
• IUSB hopped on the board quickly with three runs in the top of the first inning. Nicole Grazioli hit her first homer of the day to drive in two runs. Shelby Baker (SO/Plainfield, Indiana) came up with a hit and was driven in a batter later on a Brittany Vanderbink RBI single.
• The Wolves would respond in the bottom of the inning, producing three runs on two homers of their own.
• The Titans would add one more run in the second inning when Savanna Schmitz (SO/Naperville, Illinois) would pick up an RBI.
• Schmitz would single in the fourth to get a big inning started for the Titans. Kat Bessler (JR/Brookston, Indiana) singled followed by a three run bomb by Graziloi to increase the Titan lead.
• Grazioli would homer again in the sixth inning where she would drive in two more runs following a Bessler single.
• The Titans produced three more runs in the seventh inning jump started by a Mackenzie Myars (FR/Frankfort, Indiana) double. Jordan Burman (JR/Marion, Indiana) walked and Kaylee Durnell came up with the RBI a batter later. Haylie Williamson (FR/Hartford City, Indiana) would drive in two runs on a triple to center field. Emily Anglin (FR/Fort Wayne, Indiana) would get hit by a pitch to round out the inning.
• Becca Stevens (SO/Mooresville, Indiana) picked up the win in the circle. She gave up just four hits and three runs to earn the victory. Bailey Bruce (SR/Indianapolis, Indiana) faced just three batters in the seventh inning to secure the Titan victory and to earn the save.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
• The Wolves would strike first in game two, scoring one run in the second inning and two runs in the third to take the early 3-0 lead.
• IUSB would respond in the top of the fourth inning. Kiah Ferrell (JR/Plainfield, Indiana) got the ball rolling on a double, followed by a Shelby Baker single. Brittany Vanderbrink (FR/Avon, Indiana) picked up an RBI, and Brooke Boss (SR/Delavan, Wisconsin) singled up the middle to pick up two RBI’s.
• Cardinal Stritch would take the lead back on a solo home run in the bottom half of the fourth inning.
• The Wolves lead would be short-lived as the Titans would score two more runs. Kat Bessler singled and Nicole Grazioli doubled, followed by a Kiah Ferrell two RBI double.
• The Wolves would fight back and take a 7-5 lead, scoring three runs in the fifth inning to take the lead for good.
• IUSB would fight but were unable to produce any more runs in the sixth and seventh innings, falling to the Wolves, 5-7.
• Kiah Ferrell threw five innings, giving up six hits and four runs. Aly Brickel (JR/Hicksville, Ohio) came in in relief to surrender three runs.
• With the double header, the Titans closed out their regular season with a 22-12 record. They will now prepare for the CCAC conference tournament.
• The Titans will head to the CCAC tournament set to begin on Thursday, May 2nd. The Titans will be the #5 seed heading into the tournament, and with play the #4 seeded St. Ambrose University. First pitch for the game will be at 2:00 PM ET.