South Bend, Ind. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team hosted their first of three double headers on the weekend. The Titans welcomed Trinity International University for a thrilling afternoon of games. The Titans walked away with an 8-5 win in game one, and followed that up with a seventh inning walk off win, 4-3, in game two. Shannon McCarty (SR/South Bend, Indiana) stepped up with the clutch two out RBI triple to propel the Titans to victory.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. Trinity International University, 8-5
Game 2: IU South Bend def Trinity International University, 4-3
Records: IU South Bend, 15-5, 7-1 CCAC | TIU, 8-20 1-11 CCAC
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
• IUSB fell behind early, giving up one run in the first and two runs in the second to fall behind 3-0.
• The Titans put up five runs in the second inning to regain the lead against the Trojans. The Titans put together five hits in the inning, started off by a Kiah Ferrell (JR/Plainfield, Indiana) triple. Nicole Grazioli (JR/Lockport, Illinois) followed up with a RBI single, Shelby Baker (SO/Plainfield, Indiana) stepped up with a bunt single, before Brittany Vanderbrink (FR/Avon, Indiana) drove a single up the middle for the RBI. Savanna Schmitz (SO/Naperville, Illinois) capped off the inning with a two RBI triple.
• The lead was short lived as the Trojans fought back for two runs of their own in the third inning to knot the score at 5-5.
• IUSB capitalized for three more runs in the fifth inning to take the lead for good. Grazioli and Vanderbrink each came up with a RBI doubles in the inning.
• Savanna Schmitz, Nicole Grazioli, and Brittany Vanderbrink each finished with two hits and two RBI’s. Kiah Ferrell and Brooke Boss (SR/Delavan, Wisconsin) added two hits in the game. Shelby Baker added one hit for the Titans.
• Bailey Bruce (SR/Indianapolis, Indiana) came in in relief of starting pitcher Becca Stevens (SO/Mooresville, Indiana) to earn the win. Bruce threw two innings, allowing only two hits and no runs.
• Aly Brickel (JR/Hicksville, Ohio) threw two innings to earn the save.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
• The nightcap ended in thrilling fashion for the Titans, as Nicole Grazioli and Shannon McCarty came up clutch with two outs in the bottom of the seventh to help the team to victory.
• The Titans jumped on the board first in the bottom of the first inning with one run. Savanna Schmitz lead off the game with a single, Nicole Grazioli singled, followed by a McCarty RBI groundout.
• Brooke Boss got things started with a double, Mackenzie Myars (FR/Frankfort, Indiana) added a single, Savanna Schmitz added a two out RBI single, Nicole Grazioli finished the scoring with a two RBI double.
• The Trojans would come up with two runs in the third inning to take a 2-1 lead.
• The Titans would even the score in the fifth inning on a suicide squeeze perfectly executed by Schmitz, driving in pinch runner Holly Weber (SO/Fort Wayne, Indiana).
• TIU would once again fight back for a run of their own in the sixth inning, taking the 3-2 lead.
• IUSB would add another run in the sixth on a Brooke Boss RBI double, preceded by a Shelby Baker single and Brittany Vanderbrink double.
• Schmitz, Grazioli, and Mackenzie Myars each finished with two hits, while McCarty, Baker, Vanderbrink, and Boss added one each.
• Kiah Ferrell threw six innings giving up just two earned runs in the no decision. Ashley Cox (SO/Mooresville, Indiana) earned the win in the circle throwing a scoreless seventh inning.
• The Titans will be right back at it on Saturday afternoon as they host Robert Morris University at 12:00 and 2:00 PM ET.