Palos Heights, Ill. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team came out hot in their first CCAC matchup of the year. The Titans traveled to Palos Heights, Ill. to take on the Trolls of Trinity Christian College. IUSB offense was on fire in game one as they pounded out 16 hits to produce 8 runs in the game one winner. The Titans followed up game one with a nine hit performance. Solid defense, steady pitching, and overpowering offense led the Titans to victory.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. Trinity Christian college, 8-3
Game 2: IU South Bend def. Trinity Christian College, 9-2
Records: IU South Bend, 10-4, 2-0 CCAC | Trinity Christian College, 2-10 0-6 CCAC
Location: Palos Heights, Illinois
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
• IUSB struck early, with three runs in the top half of the second inning. Kiah Ferrell (JR/Plainfield, Indiana) got things started with a lead off triple. Nicole Grazioli (JR/Lockport, Illinois) followed that with an RBI double, with Brooke Boss (SR/Delavan, Wisconsin) driving her in on an RBI single.
• Grazioli would tack on another run in the third inning as she slugged her first home run of the year.
• TCC would not go down without a fight, as they added three runs of their own in the third inning. The Trolls would close in on the Titan lead, with the score being 4-3 heading into the fourth inning.
• The Titans added two more runs to the board in the fourth inning, both runs coming with two outs. Kat Bessler (JR/Brookston, Indiana), Brittany Vanderbrink (FR/Avon, Indiana), and Shannon McCarty (SR/South Bend, Indiana) would all have singles in the inning, as both Vanderbrink and McCarty would drive in one a piece.
• Ferrell and Grazioli would both score in the sixth inning on a Boss RBI single, to round out IUSB’s scoring.
Nicole Grazioli finished the game going 3-4 with a single, double, and homerun.
Becca Stevens (SO/Mooresville, Indiana) tossed the complete game winner, giving up three runs on five hits to go along with seven strikeouts.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
• IUSB was unable to break through to score until the fourth inning, when Grazioli added a triple to her impressive hitting day. She would score one batter later on an RBI fielders choice by Shelby Baker (SO/Plainfield, Indiana).
• The Titans would explode for four runs in the fifth inning. Boss started things with a single, Savanna Schmitz (SO/Naperville, Illinois) added a single, followed by Vanderbrink finding a way on base to load the bases. McCarty came up with the three RBI triple to clear the bases. Ferrell would knock McCarty in just one at bat later.
• The Trolls would fight back with two runs of their own in the fifth inning. The two teams would head into the final two frames of play with the score being, 5-2.
• IUSB would cross the plate four more times in the sixth to add to their lead. Holly Weber (SO/Fort Wayne, Indiana) got things started with a single, Boss would drive her in on an RBI double, followed by some crafty running by the Titans. IUSB would take advantage of the Trolls indecision to solidify their lead.
• Baker finished with two hits and one RBI, Weber finished with two hits and one stolen base, Boss finished with a single, double, and RBI, McCarty chipped in with four RBI.
• Kiah Ferrell threw seven innings in the complete game win, giving up five hits, two runs, while striking out seven batters.
• The Titans will host Robert Morris University on Saturday, March 30th. The double header is set to begin at 12:00 PM ET, followed by game two around 2:00 PM ET.