UPLAND, Ind. — Indiana Wesleyan baseball ended a pair of losing streaks on Friday with a 7-2 win at Taylor (Ind.) in the IWU-TU Rivalry Game presented by Marion General Hospital. IWU ended a current six-game losing streak plus a 23-game skid vs. Taylor dating back to the 2010 season.
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan def. Taylor, 7-2
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 19-19, 5-7 Crossroads League | Taylor 19-14, 8-4 Crossroads League
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – Not ranked | Taylor – Not ranked
- Location: Winterholter Field | Taylor University | Upland, Indiana
- Indiana Wesleyan last won a game vs. Taylor on May 11, 2010. That win was the second in two days as IWU eliminated Taylor from the MCC Tournament. The two teams did finish in a 3-3 tie last season when the Crossroads League Tournament Championship game was rained out after 5 innings.
- The Wildcats struck early on Friday with two runs in the 1st inning. Brandon Shaffer drilled an RBI triple and Caleb Eder followed with an RBI single for a 2-0 lead.
- Indiana Wesleyan added on to the lead in the 3rd inning for a 4-0 advantage. Andrew Breytenbach contributed an RBI single and Brandon Shaffer scored the second run on the hit when the TU right fielder committed an error making a play on the ball.
- Taylor cut the IWU lead in half at 4-2 with runs in the 3rd and 6th innings.
- Brady West led off the 7th inning with a home run as IWU increased the lead to 5-2.
- Andrew Breytenbach provided insurance runs in the 9th inning with a two run double for the 7-2 lead.
- Jordan Wharton: 1-for-3, 2 BB, 2 R, SB
- Brady West: 2-for-5, HR, RBI, 2 R, SB
- Brandon Shaffer: 3-for-4, BB, 3B, RBI, 3 R
- Andrew Breytenbach: 3-for-5, 2B, 3 RBI
- Jon Young (5-2): W, 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- Kyle Hall: Sv, 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan and Taylor continue the three game weekend series on Saturday at Winterholter Field in Upland. First pitch of the doubleheader begins at 1 p.m.