UPLAND, Ind. — Eight Wildcats scored in the decisive 8th inning as Indiana Wesleyan baseball rallied to beat Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) 13-7 in the final Crossroads League game of the season. IWU smashed three home runs and touted 14 hits on an extremely windy day in Upland.
- Result: Indiana Wesleyan def. Mount Vernon Nazarene, 13-7
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 26-27, 12-15 Crossroads League | Mount Vernon Nazarene 32-22, 14-13 Crossroads League
- Location: Winterholter Field | Taylor University | Upland, Indiana
- Mount Vernon Nazarene scored six times in the 4th inning to chase IWU starting pitcher Tim Olvaney and led 6-2.
- Indiana Wesleyan trailed 7-5 heading into the bottom of the 8th inning. IWU scored eight times in the inning with all eight runs being unearned following a two out error by SS Brandt Miller. Brandon Shaffer came through with the go-ahead RBI single and Andrew Breytenbach followed with a 3-run home run.
- The game was played at Winterholter Field at Taylor University following heavy rains all weekend that made Wildcat Field unplayable. It was quite windy at the game with 20-25 MPH winds and many gusts well over 40 MPH. The wind was blowing straight out.
- The Cougars held a 17-14 advantage in hits.
- Brandon Shaffer: 2-for-4, BB, RBI, 2 R
- Andrew Breytenbach: 3-for-5, 4 RBI, R
- Dan Rochotte: 2-for-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Zee Breytenbach: W (2-6), 3.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan travels to Celina, Ohio on Wednesday for a non-league doubleheader at Wright State-Lake (Ohio). First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m.