MARION, Ind. – Top-seed Indiana Wesleyan University men’s basketball never trailed on Wednesday in a 102-77 win over No. 8-seed Taylor (Ind.) in an IWU-TU Rivalry Game sponsored by Marion General Hospital. The Wildcats end the Trojans’ season and advance to the Crossroads League Tournament Semifinals for the 9th time in the last 10 years.
- Crossroads League Tournament Quarterfinals
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan def. Taylor, 102-77
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 24-7 | Taylor 16-15
- CL Tournament Seed: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 1 | Taylor – No. 8
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 5 | Taylor – Not ranked
- Location: Luckey Arena | Indiana Wesleyan University | Marion, Indiana
- Evan Maxwell: 22 points, 9-14 FG, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks (double-double by halftime)
- Joel Okafor: 4 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals
- Kyle Mangas: 11 points, 2 blocks
- Canaan Coffey: 20 points, 7-12 FG, 4-9 3FG, 4 rebounds
- Grant Smith: 19 points, 6-7 FG, 2-2 3FG, 5-6 FT, 5 assists
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Wildcats scored the first six points of the game and established their dominance early with a 19-5 lead. IWU led by 25 (41-16) in the first half and a game-high 32 points (102-70) late in the game.
- Indiana Wesleyan has won 14 straight games vs. Taylor and 20 of the last 22. Greg Tonagel improves to 25-5 all-time vs. the Trojans.
- The Wildcats and Trojans are tied 3-3 all-time in the Crossroads League Tournament. IWU improves to 23-21 in the tournament and 22-5 in Luckey Arena.
- Indiana Wesleyan outscored Taylor 52-38 in the paint and 18-5 in second chance points.
COACH TONAGEL SAYS…
- “These kind of games are rare in the postseason in this league. Things were just falling our way tonight. Other than the five minute stretch to begin the second half, we were locked in defensively and we made a lot of plays. And to come out and establish a big lead early was crucial to establish our defense early.”
CROSSROADS LEAGUE ROUND-UP
- (2) Saint Francis def. (7) Spring Arbor, 93-83
- (6) Mount Vernon Nazarene def. (3) Bethel, 80-76
- (5) Huntington def. (4) Marian, 102-91
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan advances to the Crossroads League Tournament Semifinals on Saturday at 3 p.m. IWU hosts No. 5 Huntington (Ind.) following the Foresters 102-91 win at No. 4-seed Marian (Ind.).