INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – For just the fourth time in school history, Indiana Wesleyan softball has been crowned the Crossroads League Tournament Champion. The Wildcats won the tournament in Head Coach Steve Babinski’s first season and in 2015. Prior to 2012, the Wildcats won the tournament under Head Coach Sue Bowman in 2005.
Danielle Munn pitched an absolute gem from the mound in game one, lifting the Wildcats over Marian, 2-1. The Knights had runners on first and second in the top of the seventh, but an over the shoulder diving catch 15 yards behind second by Kelsey Kooistra ended the game.
In game two, senior pitcher Carlie Weaver pitched five innings allowing just three hits. The Wildcats recorded five hits while allowing just three.
- GAME 1: Indiana Wesleyan – 2 | Marian (Ind.) – 1
- GAME 2: Indiana Wesleyan – 1 | Marian (Ind.) – 0
- Records: IWU – 54-9 | Taylor (Ind.) – 47-5
- NAIA Top 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – #10 | Marian (Ind.) – #2
- Location: Marian University | Indianapolis, Indiana | MU Softball Field
INSIDE THE BOX GAME 1
- Danielle Munn: 7 IP, 4 K, 7 H, R
- Sydney Lowe: 1-1, 2 RBI
- Kelsey Kooistra: 2-2, R
- In the bottom of the fifth, Sydney Lowe singled up the middle scoring Taylor Colberg and Kelsey Kooistra
INSIDE THE BOX GAME 2
- Carlie Weaver: 5 IP, 3 H, 3 K
- Danielle Munn: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 3 K
- Kristen Exposito: 2-3, RBI
- Exposito singled in the bottom of the third scoring Alex Spring who singled earlier in the inning.
- “I am so proud of these girls because they played for God and each other. Their energy has been so amazing throughout the year and today we saw some really clean pitching and defense.”
- “I have been blessed with some really amazing players on and off the field. The more we keep winning the bigger the platform we are building for Christ.”
- “Every game is the most important game moving forward. Regardless of who we draw in the opening round, we will treat them like it’s the last time we are playing.”
ALEX SPRINGER PERSPECTIVE
- “This whole year has been a team above self-mentality and being a part of it is so amazing.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan will now shift their focus to the NAIA National Tournament.
- The 40 qualifiers and pairings for the Opening Rounds will be announced Tuesday, May 8 at 5 p.m. EDT on the NAIA Facebook page. The opening round playing format can be found here.
- The event will be played May 14 – 16 and features 10 four-team, double elimination tournaments throughout the country.
- For the complete Opening Round schedule, click here.
- For more championship information, click here.