SIOUX CITY, Iowa – It was a repeat performance for Indiana Wesleyan University in the second match of pool play at the 2017 NAIA Women’s Volleyball National Championship. IWU once again took a top-10 team to the brink only to lose in five sets as No. 10 Corban (Ore.) won 15-8 in the decisive set.
- 2017 NAIA Women’s Volleyball National Championship Pool Play
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan – 2 | Corban – 3
- Set 1: IWU 25-20
- Set 2: CU 25-22
- Set 3: CU 25-23
- Set 4: IWU 25-19
- Set 5: CU 15-8
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 28-12 (0-2 Pool G) | Corban 26-7 (2-0 Pool G)
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – Receiving votes | Corban – No. 10
- Location: Tyson Events Center | Sioux City, Iowa
- Katie Cole: 35 assists, 10 digs, 1 ace
- Tay Thomas: 16 kills, 7 digs, 1 block assist
- Lauren Gross: 13 kills, 2 block assists
- Emily Workman: 22 assists, 4 digs, 1 ace
- Abigail Rutt: 9 digs, 2 aces
- Morgan Miller: 16 kills, .310 attack percentage, 2 solo blocks, 1 block assist
- Banner Rodgers: 33 digs, 2 assists
- The loss eliminates the Wildcats from contention to advance out of pool play. No. 7 Park (Mo.) and No. 10 Corban are both 2-0 following play on Wednesday. Indiana Wesleyan and Missouri Valley are each 0-2.
- Two key stats to the match that tipped the advantage to Corban were attack errors and blocks. IWU had eight more attack errors and committed 33 in the match. Corban also doubled up IWU 12-6 in total blocks.
- The Wildcats never led in the fifth set. The Warriors held a 6-4 advantage and reeled off five of the next six points for an 11-5 advantage.
COACH MOATS SAYS…
- On two straight heart-breaking losses…
“I am going to walk away from today with a bunch of kids that I care way more about than the points that are on the scoreboard. This whole week we have had a passion and a spirit of staying together and really believing something big. The battles that we have been in and going into those fifth games takes such a mental energy to come out and stay in that game. The opponents may have had some more skill, but the passion, the hard work, and the belief of not giving up makes me so proud of them.”
- On Banner Rodgers and Morgan Miller…
“Banner has had an outstanding tournament. She has carried our team defensively and it is so impressive. Morgan needs to be highlighted tonight. She had an outstanding game like she always does.”
- How the team will respond tomorrow vs. Missouri Valley…
“This game was harder on the girls than last night. Two games in a row to five and not getting them has been difficult. But I know we will come out tomorrow and be super passionate and will finish this season out with the heart that we started with.”
UP NEXT FOR VOLLEYBALL
- Indiana Wesleyan completes national championship play and the 2017 season on Thursday in a match against Missouri Valley. The contest is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. ET.