COLUMBIA, Ky. – No. 21 Indiana Wesleyan University volleyball started the 2017 season on a winning note with a 3-1 win over Cumberlands (Ky.) in the opening match of the Lindsey Wilson Classic in Columbia, Kentucky. IWU served 12 aces in the win which is the most for the Wildcats in nearly four years.
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan – 3 | Cumberlands (Ky.) – 1
- Set 1: UC 25-21
- Set 2: IWU 25-22
- Set 3: IWU 25-19
- Set 4: IWU 25-18
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 1-0 | Cumberlands 0-2
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 21 | Cumberlands – Not ranked
- Location: Holloway Center | Lindsey Wilson College | Columbia, Kentucky
- Emily Workman: 18 assists, 10 digs, 2 aces, 2 block assists
- Tay Thomas: 15 kills, .324 attack percentage
- Banner Rodgers: 2 aces, 15 digs
- Lauren Gross: 10 kills, 2 block assists
- Katie Cole: 28 assists, 7 digs, 2 aces
- Kelly Miller: 16 kills
- Indiana Wesleyan won their season opener for the third consecutive year. IWU last lost an opening match in 2014 to Columbia (Mo.).
- The Wildcats served 12 aces in the four set victory. The 12 aces is the most since IWU had 15 aces vs. Robert Morris (Ill.) on September 28, 2013.
UP NEXT FOR VOLLEYBALL
- Indiana Wesleyan battles No. 15 Doane (Neb.) immediately following the win over Cumberlands. It is the first of two ranked teams that Indiana Wesleyan faces this weekend at the LWC Classic.