Jankowski Wins Title, Pilots Finish Third at Nationals
POINT LOOKOUT, Mo. – The Bethel College Pilots women’s cross country team finished their season as a team with a top three finish at the NCCAA National Championship on Saturday, as Emma Jankowski earned the individual title with an 18:32.59 time to finish ahead of the field of 66 runners. Jankowski and Anna Nisen earned All-American recognition.
- Team Finish: 3rd of 10
- Team Time: 1:40:25.64
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll:Bethel – not rated
- Location: Bobcat Cross Country Course | College of the Ozarks | Point Lookout, Mo.
TOP 7 FINISHERS
- 1. Emma Jankowski – 18:32.59 | 1st
- 2. Anna Nisen – 20:06.03 | 15th
- 3. Vanessa Steiner – 20:09.56 | 16th
- 4. Jessica Duvall – 20:27.03 | 19th
- 5. Emma Romero – 21:10.43 | 30th
- 6. Mariah King – 21:16.31 | 34th
- 7. Rebecca Maynard – 21:46.19 | 39th
- The third-place finish as a team is the highest in program history and earned them All-American team status.
- Emma Jankowski is the program’s first individual national champion. Her time of 18:32.59 is the seventh-fastest time ever and third-fastest by a sophomore in program history, as well as a lifetime personal record. The sophomore took the lead at the mile mark and never relinquished it.
- Jankowski and Anna Nisen were named All-Americans following their individual top-15 finishes—just the seventh and eighth individuals to earn an All-American recognition in program history.
- Nisen and Emma Romero ran their second-best times ever, while Vanessa Steiner clocked her third-best time.
QUOTES FROM COACH SOMMERS
- “Very proud of what they accomplished this season due to increased confidence and implementation of the focus principles. They have laid a solid foundation from which to build for several years to come. They were the epitome of teamwork today as they were all season.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- Emma Jankowski will compete as an individual at the NAIA National Championship on Friday, November 16 at 11:30 am ET.