SIX PACK OF CHAMPIONS
Carmel (11-3): Spencer Hanna booted field goals of 42 and 25 yards in the No. 5 Greyhounds’ 20-17 win over Center Grove for the Class 6A crown.
Evansville Memorial (13-1: Will Brackett recorded 12 tackles for the No. 3 Tigers in their 21-3 win over No. 2 East Noble for the Class 2A championship.
Indianapolis Bishop Chatard (14-1): Daylen Taylor romped 22 times for 172 yards and three touchdowns in the top-ranked Trojans’ 34-3 decision over No. 2 Heritage Hills in the Class 3A finale.
Lafayette Central Catholic (12-3): Reece Buche caught the game-winning two-point conversion with 10 seconds left as the No. 8 Knights rallied for a 29-28 win over No. 1 Indianapolis Lutheran for the Class 1A crown.
New Palestine (14-0): Ryker Large returned an interception 34 yards for a score as the top-ranked Dragons won their second straight Class 5A title with a 27-20 victory over No. 2 Valparaiso.
Western Boone (14-1): Brett Wethington ran 19 times for 110 yards as the No. 2 Stars defended their Class 2A championship with a 44-7 victory against No. 8 Eastbrook.
FINAL FABULOUS FIVE
- Marian (12-2): The No. 4 Knights claimed their fifth straight Class 3A sectional title and earned their third regional crown in the last five years.
- New Prairie (11-2): The No. 4 Cougars captured their second Class 4A sectional championship in the last three years and a share of the Northern Indiana Conference North Division title.
- Warsaw (9-3): The Tigers celebrated their first (Class 6A) sectional championship in program history.
- Mishawaka (8-4): The Cavemen made it back-to-back sectional crowns, winning in Class 4A last year and in Class 5A in 2019.
- Elkhart Central (9-3): In their final season before merging with Elkhart Memorial, the No. 9 (Class 5A) Blazers posted their best record since going 9-1 in 1984.
Concord (8-2): The No. 6 (Class 5A) Minutemen captured a share of the Northern Lakes Conference title.
Jimtown (7-5): The Jimmies erased a 2-4 start by winning five of their last six contests.
NorthWood (7-4): The Panthers won six of their last eight contests.
Penn (6-5): The Kingsmen overcame some key injuries and a slow start to capture a share of the Northern Indiana Conference North Division championship.
Plymouth (9-3): The Pilgrims claimed a share of the Northern Lakes Conference title.
MATT’S MATCHUPS FINAL
Despite going 3-3 (50 percent) in the state finals, I still managed to achieve my goal of reaching the 80 percent plateau in 2019 by finishing with a record of 191-48.