HERE’S TO THE CHAMPIONS
Andrean (21-8): Nick Flesher netted 12 points as the 59ers used an 11-0 spurt to claim their first state title with a 59-54 win over No. 8 Linton-Stockton in the Class 2A finale.
Carmel (26-1): John Michael Mulloy came up with 13 points, helping the top-ranked Greyhounds earn their first state title since 2013 with a 60-55 decision against Indianapolis Ben Davis in the Class 4A final.
Fort Wayne Blackhawk (28-2): Frank Davidson poured in 20 points for the No. 1 Braves in their 60-43 triumph over No. 2 Barr-Reeve for their first Class 1A crown.
Silver Creek (25-3): Zane Gross paved the way for the No. 6 Dragons to claim their first state title in any sport with a 52-49 victory over No. 3 and defending Class 3A state champ Culver Academy.
Barr-Reeve (26-3): Gabe Gladish finished with 12 points for the Vikings against Fort Wayne Blackhawk.
Culver Academy (24-4): Ethan Brittain-Watts’ 23 points was not enough for the Eagles against Silver Creek.
Indianapolis Ben Davis (20-8): Dawand Jones accounted for 22 points in the Giants’ setback to Carmel.
Linton-Stockton (27-4): Tucker Hayes ended up with 15 points for the Miners against Andrean.
SENSATIONAL SEVEN (FINAL)
- Penn (24-4): Drew Lutz came up with 17 points for the No. 9 Kingsmen in their 71-42 loss to No. 1 Carmel in the Class 4A Lafayette semistate.
- Marian (20-4): Jaden Ivey registered 19 points for the No. 5 Knights in their 52-41 loss to Culver Academy in the Class 3A Jimtown sectional final.
- Riley (18-5): Blake Wesley had 15 points in the No. 10 Wildcats’ 50-48 loss to host Penn in the Class 4A opener.
- Northridge (19-9): Jackson Erekson had 21 points in the Raiders’ 74-72 loss to Penn in the Class 4A Michigan City regional final.
- Elkhart Memorial (16-7): Trey Gallope’s 16 points were not enough for the defending champion Chargers in their 65-50 loss to Warsaw in the Class 4A opener at North Side Gym.
- Warsaw (15-8): Tyler Metzinger recorded only seven points for the Tigers in their 59-46 setback against Northridge in the Class 4A Elkhart sectional finale.
- Plymouth (15-9): Tim Tremaine chipped in 11 points for the Pilgrims in a 58-57 loss to Northridge in the Class 4A Elkhart semifinals.
Adams (14-13): Shak Johnson managed 20 points for the Eagles in their 63-60 loss to host Penn in the Class 4A sectional title affair.
Jimtown (13-10): Preston Phillips ended up with 14 points for the host Jimmies in their 48-35 loss to defending Culver Academy in the Class 3A opener.
Mishawaka (12-11): Alex Boggs accounted for 11 points in the Cavemen’s 61-37 loss to Adams in the Class 4A Penn opener.
Saint Joseph (12-10): J.R. Konieczny finished with 10 points in the Indians’ 47-34 loss to Marian in the Class 3A Jimtown sectional opener.
Washington (14-11): Demarcus Vaughn tallied 10 points for the Panthers in a 76-60 loss to Culver Academy in the Class 3A Jimtown semifinals.
MATT’S MATCHUPS WRAPUP
A 2-2 (50 percent) record in the state finals left me with a final mark of 294-94, which allowed me to finish at 76 percent for the season.