Mishawaka, Ind. – The Bethel College Lady Pilots women’s basketball team hosted the second team to receive votes in the Top 25 Coaches’ Poll this season, as the defeated/fell to Trinity Christian (Ill.) on Tuesday evening in the Wiekamp Athletic Center.
- Score: Bethel def. Trinity Christian 62-56
- Records: Bethel (1-2) | Trinity Christian (1-3)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Trinity Christian – No. 35
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Kaitlin Elsasser: 14 pts, 6-8 fg, 14 reb
- Kamala Glenn: 15 pts, 2-3 3-pt, 4 ast
- Jessica Erwin: 9 pts, 4-5 fg, 6 reb
- Kelsey Brickner: 11 pts, 6-7 ft, 6 reb
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Lady Pilots jumped out to a 7-3 lead in the first quarter and never trailed in the first quarter, and held an 18-14 lead after the first period on 8 early points from Kaitlin Elsasser.
- The Trolls grabbed their first lead at 22-21 with 6:07 remaining in the half but Kelsey Brickner hit a three-pointer to regain the lead on the next possession. The Trolls again took the lead with under a minute to go with a three-pointer and held a 32-30 lead at intermission.
- The Lady Pilots never led in the third quarter, tying the game at 44 just before the end of the period, and opened the fourth quarter on an 8-2 run to take a 52-46 with 6:09 remaining.
- The Pilots led by as much as 54-46 before the Trolls used a 10-4 run to pull within one possession. Tahya Bruce and Kaitlin Elsasserclosed the game out at the free throw line in the final 21.2 seconds to ice the game.
- The Lady Pilots outscored the Trolls 36-30 in points in the paint and shot 48.9% from the field, their best shooting percentage of the season.
- The Lady Pilots outrebounded the Trolls 42-22 and had four players with at least 6 rebounds each.
- The Lady Pilots committed 27 turnovers and were outscored in points off turnovers 25-7.
- Kaitlin Elsasser notched her third straight game with double-digit rebounds on a career-high 14 on the night, also marking her second double-double in three games this season. Entering the contest, Elsasser ranked 14th in the nation and second in the Crossroads League in total rebounds per game with 11.000.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Lady Pilots travel to Chicago for a pair of games this weekend, first taking on NCAA DI opponent UIC on Friday at 1pm, before taking on Roosevelt (Ill.) on Saturday at 2pm.