MISHAWAKA, Ind. – The Bethel College baseball team, in search of only their second win since March 16, kept both games close but fell in extra innings in the opener and could not keep the Maple Leafs off the scoreboard late in game two, dropping 3-1 and 8-5 affairs on a chilly Thursday afternoon.
- Game 2 Score: Goshen def. Bethel 3-1 (F/8)
- Game 1 Score: Goshen def. Bethel 8-5
- Records: Bethel (10-20, 2-12) | Goshen (14-17, 6-7)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Goshen – not rated
- Location: Jenkins Stadium | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Mike Wathier: 2-5, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, 3 R
- Luke Adams: 2-6, RBI, R
- Sean Luzon: 1-6, 2 RBI
- Jesse Zepeda: 2-5, RBI
- Josh King: 7.0 IP, 2 ER, H, 10 K, 3 BB
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Josh King went 7.0 strong innings in game one, striking out a career-high 10 batters, while only allowing 1 hit—a first inning home run—but took the tough luck loss in extra innings.
- Luke Adams has 9 hits in 21 at bats from the lead-off spot, and has reached base 11 times in 23 plate appearances since assuming the lead-off spot on March 30.
- Mike Wathier knocked an RBI double and and game-tying solo home run to left-center field in game two, his first extra-base hits since March 8.
- The Pilots have now lost 12 of their last 13 games since winning their Crossroads League opener on March 16.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots and Maple Leafs will complete their three-game series with a single, nine-inning game on Saturday at 1:00 pm at Jenkins Stadium on the campus of Bethel College.