MARION, Ind. — Starting pitcher Jon Young was in cruise control and was one out from a complete game shutout for Indiana Wesleyan baseball in the first Crossroads League Tournament game at Marian (Ind.). But Marian rallied for two runs after Young retired the first two batters in the 9th inning for a 2-1 victory.
- Crossroads League Tournament
- Score: Marian def. Indiana Wesleyan, 2-1
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 27-29 | Marian 26-19
- Tournament Seed: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 6 | Marian – No. 3
- Location: Marian Ballpark | Marian University | Indianapolis, Indiana
- The opening game in the league tournament took just 1 hour 45 minutes to play 9 innings. Before the bottom of the 9th inning, starting pitchers Jon Young and Marian’s Matt Burleton combined for just eight hits allowed and three walks.
- Indiana Wesleyan registered their run in the 4th inning on a Brandon Shafer home run to lead off the inning.
- Jon Young took the shutout attempt into the 9th inning where he started the frame with a ground out and fly out. Marian then added two singles to put runners on first and second base. Leo Lopez followed with a third straight single to score the game-tying run and Matt Turk had the fourth consecutive Marian single to score the walk-off victory.
- Jon Young: L, 8.2 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Brandon Shaffer: 1-for-4, HR
- Andrew Breytenbach: 1-for-3, BB
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan drops to the losers bracket and plays No. 2-seed Taylor (Ind.) which was upset 10-9 by No. 7-seed Goshen (Ind.). Indiana Wesleyan and Taylor play at 3 p.m. on Monday at Winterholter Field.