Matt Painter: 500 Games and Counting
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue men’s basketball head coach Matt Painter led Purdue to a 70-51 victory over Wisconsin on Friday night at Mackey Arena.
The significant number from the contest was that it was the 500th game that Painter has coached in his 15th year at Purdue.
Here is a look at the numbers from his first 500 games in West Lafayette.
- 332-168 record (.664)
- 11 NCAA Tournaments are sixth most in Big Ten history
- 332 wins are the 10th most in Big Ten history
- 162 Big Ten wins are the 10th most in league history
- 4 Big Ten Coach of the Year honors are third most in league history
- 357 career wins (25 at Southern Illinois) are second most nationally of any coach under the age of 50 (Mick Cronin – 374); 10th most of any coach under age of 55.
- Of coaches with at least 300 wins and under the age of 55, Painter is one of six coaches to make an Elite 8 and his five Sweet 16 trips are the second most (Sean Miller – 7).
- His 500 games coached make him the ninth coach in Big Ten history with 500 games coached in the Big Ten. He is just 60 games behind Michigan State’s Jud Heathcote for fifth place on the chart (560 games). The league record is Bob Knight at 901 games.
- He is one of two active coaches to have won a Big Ten title of any kind (Michigan State’s Tom Izzo).
His 12 NCAA Tournament appearances are the 16th most among active coaches, but the most among any coach under the age of 55. Painter is 49 years old.