MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – Joel Okafor and Kyle Mangas both missed potential game-winning 3-pointers with under five seconds left as Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) upset No. 6 Indiana Wesleyan University men’s basketball 83-81. IWU can clinch a Crossroads League championship at home on Saturday (1 p.m.) vs. No. 22 Spring Arbor (Mich.).
- Score: Mount Vernon Nazarene def. Indiana Wesleyan, 83-81
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 22-7, 13-4 Crossroads League | Mount Vernon Nazarene 17-12, 9-8 Crossroads League
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 6 | Mount Vernon Nazarene – Not ranked
- Location: Ariel Arena | Mount Vernon Nazarene University | Mount Vernon, Ohio
- Kyle Mangas: 24 points, 9-19 FG, 5-12 3FG, 7 rebounds
- Grant Smith: 9 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
- Ben Carlson: 13 points, 5-7 FG, 7 rebounds
- Evan Maxwell: 19 points, 8-14 FG, 5 rebounds
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Joel Okafor attempted a 3-pointer to win the game with four seconds left but hit the back of the rim. Mangas grabbed the long rebound and took another 3-pointer at the buzzer but his shot missed as well.
- The game featured 13 ties and 9 lead changes, which includes 10 ties in the second half. IWU held a 52-40 lead early in the second half for the largest lead of the night.
- Mangas missed his first free throw attempt tonight that ended a streak of 24 consecutive free throws made. Caleb Dimmich holds the program record with 27 straight makes.
- Mount Vernon Nazarene sweeps the season series with Indiana Wesleyan. The Cougars won 84-79 in Luckey Arena on January 3.
CROSSROADS LEAGUE IMPLICATIONS
- Indiana Wesleyan failed to clinch at least a tie for the Crossroads League regular season championship. IWU can still clinch a tie for the championship with either a win on Saturday vs. Spring Arbor (Mich.) or one loss for Saint Francis (Ind.) on Wednesday vs. Grace (Ind.) or on Saturday at Bethel (Ind.).
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan hosts No. 22 Spring Arbor (Mich.) on Saturday in the regular season finale. The game tips off with at 1 p.m. as the first of the men’s-women’s doubleheader. Saturday is Senior Day in Luckey Arena with a pregame celebration before tip-off. An Indiana Wesleyan win clinches at least a Crossroads League regular season championship.