MARION, Ind. – Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) used a 29-13 run in the first half to spur an 84-79 upset over No. 4-ranked Indiana Wesleyan University men’s basketball. The run turned a 6-point Wildcat lead into a 10-point Cougar lead that they did not surrender.
- Score: Mount Vernon Nazarene def. Indiana Wesleyan, 84-79
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 12-5, 3-2 Crossroads League | Mount Vernon Nazarene 11-6, 3-2 Crossroads League
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan – No. 6 | Mount Vernon Nazarene – Not ranked
- Location: Luckey Arena | Indiana Wesleyan University | Marion, Indiana
- Evan Maxwell: 20 points, 11 rebounds
- Joel Okafor: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists
- Kyle Mangas: 14 points, 6-9 FG
- Canaan Coffey: 8 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists
- Grant Smith: 11 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Indiana Wesleyan has lost three straight games for the first time since December 29-January 7, 2017.
- The 79 points ties a season-low for the Wildcats and have done it three times this season.
- Mount Vernon Nazarene led by as many as 13 points on two occasions in the second half. Indiana Wesleyan got as close as two points at 78-76 with 1:09 to play. IWU could get no closer as MVNU scored six straight points for an 84-76 advantage.
COACH TONAGEL SAYS…
- “In our league you have to have a lot of heart and guts. This isn’t non-league. People are ready for you and are going to give you their best shot. Obviously, we didn’t do that tonight.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan battles No. 16 Bethel (Ind.) on Saturday at 3 p.m. The top-25 contest will be played in Mishawaka, Indiana.