KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Indiana Wesleyan stayed put at No. 1 with undefeated LSU Shreveport (La.) hot on its heels in the third edition of the Top 25. William Penn (Iowa) and Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) maintained positions at No. 3 and No. 4 while Arizona Christian jumped into the top five this week with a 16-2 mark. Southwestern Assemblies of God (Texas) made the largest jump from receiving votes in the last poll to No. 15 this week. Thomas More (Ky.) also found itself in the Top 25 this week after having not been rated in the last edition.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- Frequency of polls occur bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) beginning in the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
2020-21 NAIA Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll No. 3 (January 27, 2021)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes]||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Indiana Wesleyan ||21-1||585|
|2||2||LSU Shreveport (La.) ||11-0||577|
|3||3||William Penn (Iowa)||15-1||554|
|4||4||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||12-1||524|
|6||7||Shawnee State (Ohio)||16-2||498|
|8||12||Science & Arts (Okla.)||9-1||448|
|13||9||The Master’s (Calif.)||9-1||376|
|16||11||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||14-4||256|
|19||21||Texas A&M Texarkana||7-0||243|
|20||NR||Thomas More (Ky.)||10-4||232|
|21||20||LSU Alexandria (La.)||10-2||207|
Dropped from the Top 25: Saint Francis (Ind.), College of Idaho, John Brown (Ark.), Martin Methodist (Tenn.), Mid-America Christian (Okla.)
Others Receiving Votes: Xavier (La.) 94, Oklahoma Wesleyan 69, Holy Cross (Ind.) 66, Cumberlands (Ky.) 65, Texas Wesleyan 58, Jamestown (N.D.) 53, Warner (Fla.) 53, Benedictine (Kan.) 49, Columbia (Mo.) 43, Grace (Ind.) 20, Saint Francis (Ind.) 15, Park (Mo.) 14, Indiana Tech 9, Carroll (Mont.) 8, CIU (S.C.) 5, William Carey (Miss.) 5, Valley City State (N.D.) 4, College of Idaho 3.