Mishawaka, Ind. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s basketball team started off the calendar year in style, extending the game to an overtime session before Tanner Shepherd played the hero with a game-winning three to defeat Marian in a high-scoring affair.
- Score: Bethel def. Marian 105-102 ot
- Records: Bethel (15-2, 4-1) | Marian (11-6, 1-4)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 14 | Marian – not rated
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel College | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Gage Ott: 34 pts, 7 reb, 12-15 ft
- Trey’von Covington: 24 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast
- Tanner Shepherd: 16 pts, 3-6 3pt, 3 stl
- Kyle Hartman: 10 pts, 12 ast, 2 to
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- After leading 23-22 with 7:38 remaining in the first half, the Pilots didn’t regain the lead until 8:28 remaining in regulation at 71-70.
- With 6.7 seconds remaining and a chance to ice the game with the Knights up 89-87, Sterling Brown missed a pair of free throws and Trey’von Covingvton raced the length of the court to lay it in with 2.2 left. The Knights desperation attempt missed and the Pilots were able to force overtime.
- The Pilots never trailed in the overtime session, going 7-7 from the free throw line. With the Pilots ahead 102-99 with 16 seconds left, Sterling Brown hit a three-pointer to tie the game with 13 seconds remaining. On the ensuing play, Tanner Shepherd drilled the game-winner from deep to take a 105-102 lead with 5.5 remaining. The Knights heave at the buzzer was off the mark and the Pilots stole a victory at home.
- The Knights outshot the Pilots 27-21 at the free throw line.
- The Pilots outscored the Knights 46-14 in the paint, led by a career-high and Pilot season best 34 points from Gage Ott.
- Kyle Hartman finished with a career-high 12 assists. It’s the fifth double-digit assist game of the season for the sophomore, all Pilot wins, and surpasses Rico Swanson for the most double-digit assist games in the season since complete records go back to the 1993-94 season.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots continue their two-game home-stand with the back-end of a men’s and women’s double header against No. 4 Indiana Wesleyan on January 6 at 3pm in the Wiekamp Athletic Center.
The Pilots compete in 18 intercollegiate sports for men and women. The Bethel College Athletic Department earned the NAIA Champion of Character Five-Star Gold Institution and produced 17 NAIA Scholar-Teams last season. While accumulating 3 NAIA National Championships and 32 NCCAA National Championships by 10 different athletic teams, Bethel has also produced 143 NAIA All-American honors and 309 NAIA Scholar-Athlete honors over the past decade.
Bethel College is an accredited Christian college offering associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees in more than 70 areas of study.
|Jan. 3, 2018|
|MARIAN (IND.)||INDV. LEADERS||BETHEL COLLEGE|
|#4 Wes Stowers – 24||Points||#42 Gage Ott – 34|
|#5 Reggie Kissoonlal – 8||Rebounds||#42 Gage Ott – 7|
|#4 Wes Stowers – 8||Assists||#5 Kyle Hartman – 12|
|MARIAN (IND.)||TEAM STATISTICS||BETHEL COLLEGE|
|49.2% (31 – 63)||Field Goals %||53.5% (38 – 71)|
|48.1% (13 – 27)||3 Point Field Goals %||44.4% (8 – 18)|
|87.1% (27 – 31)||Free Throws||84% (21 – 25)|
|15||2nd Chance Pts||14|