Windsor, Ont. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s basketball team got a taste of international basketball with a four-quarter, 24-second shot clock game against Windsor (Ont.) and dominated the Lancers to finish the 2017 calendar year with a win.
- Score: Bethel def. Windsor 100-81
- Records: Bethel (14-2) | Windsor (8-9)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 14
- Location: St. Denis Centre | University of Windsor | Windsor, Ontario
- Trey’von Covington: 22 pts, 4 reb, 6-8 3fg
- Paul Forman: 22 pts, 7 reb, 8-11 fg
- Kyle Thompson: 14 pts, 6 reb, 6-8 fg
- Kyle Hartman: 12 pts, 9 reb, 7-12 ft
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots jumped out to as much as a 52-30 lead in the second quarter before the Lancers closed on a 12-5 run to end the half at 57-42 Pilots.
- Trey’von Covington picked up where he left off against Great Lakes Christian, knocking down his first two three-pointers and scoring 10 of the Pilots 19 points in the first 5:30 of the game.
- The Pilots hit the century mark in points for the second consecutive game, shooting 54.2% from the field and held the Lancers to just 34.6% shooting.
- The Pilots outrebounded the Lancers 49-34, with 45 of them coming on the defensive end. Six Pilots pulled down six or more rebounds, led by a career-high 9 from Tanner Shepherd and also from Kyle Hartman.
COACH LIGHTFOOT SAYS
- “Trey’von once again got us off to a great start. Then we were carried by a solid performance by Paul and Kyle Thompson off the bench. It was a good two-game travel schedule for us as we prepare for the second half of the season and return home for two big league games next week.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots resume Crossroads League play with a pair of home games next week. They take Marian (Ind.) on January 3 at 7pm and Indiana Wesleyan on January 6 at 3pm in the Wiekamp Athletic Center.
The Pilots compete in 18 intercollegiate sports for men and women. The Bethel College Athletic Department earned the NAIA Champion of Character Five-Star Gold Institution and produced 17 NAIA Scholar-Teams last season. While accumulating 3 NAIA National Championships and 32 NCCAA National Championships by 10 different athletic teams, Bethel has also produced 143 NAIA All-American honors and 309 NAIA Scholar-Athlete honors over the past decade.
Bethel College is an accredited Christian college offering associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees in more than 70 areas of study.
|Bethel Pilots Men||29||28||17||26||100|
|Windsor Lancers Men||23||19||24||15||81|
|Dec. 29, 2017|
|St. Denis Centre|
|BETHEL PILOTS MEN||INDV. LEADERS||WINDSOR LANCERS MEN|
|2 Players (#01,#43) – 22||Points||#11 Marcus Jones – 24|
|2 Players (#05,#24) – 9||Rebounds||#10 Mike Rocca – 8|
|#24 Tanner Shepherd – 6||Assists||#10 Mike Rocca – 10|
|BETHEL PILOTS MEN||TEAM STATISTICS||WINDSOR LANCERS MEN|
|54.2% (32 – 59)||Field Goals %||34.6% (28 – 81)|
|55% (11 – 20)||3 Point Field Goals %||36% (18 – 50)|
|73.5% (25 – 34)||Free Throws||43.8% (7 – 16)|
|8||2nd Chance Pts||7|