Mount Vernon, Ohio – The Bethel College Pilots men’s basketball team gave up a 10-1 run in the final 3:03 to see their seven-point lead turn into a two-point defeat to Mt. Vernon Nazarene on Saturday afternoon.
- Score: Mt. Vernon Nazarene def. Bethel 74-73
- Records: Bethel (20-8, 9-7) | Mt. Vernon Nazarene (16-12, 8-8)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 16 | Mt. Vernon Nazarene – not rated
- Location: Ariel Arena | Mt. Vernon Nazarene University | Mount Vernon, Ohio
- Paul Forman: 20 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast
- Trey’von Covington: 13 pts, 2 reb, 2 stl
- Ryan Lutz: 11 pts, 6 reb, 2 stl
- Gage Ott: 9 pts, 5 reb, 4-7 fg
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Pilots were outrebounded 41-27, the fourth time they allowed more rebounds than they pulled down and their largest negative margin all season.
- The Cougars outscored the Pilots 10-5 in second chance points.
- Holding a 72-65 lead with 3:03 remaining, the Pilots gave up a 10-1 run to finish the game. The Pilots went 0-3 from the field, while the Cougars converted on 3-4 attempts.
- The Pilots fall into a tie for third place in the Crossroads League at 9-7 with Marian, with games against Marian and league-leading St. Francis remaining in the regular season.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots continue on the road against Marian (Ind.) in Indianapolis on Tuesday at 7pm in a game with major implications for league standings and home court advantage in the quarterfinals of the Crossroads League tournament, which begins Wednesday, Feb. 21.