MISHAWAKA – The Bethel University women’s volleyball team opened up Crossroads League play on Wednesday evening and gave visiting Saint Francis all they could handle in four sets, but came up short, losing 3-1. None of the four sets finished with more than a three-point margin. Madyson Beaver recorded a double-double with 25 assists and 10 digs, and added 8 kills in an all-around effort.
- Score: Saint Francis def. Bethel 23-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-22
- Records: Bethel (4-6, 0-1) | Saint Francis (6-3, 1-0)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – not rated | Saint Francis – not rated
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Madyson Beaver – 8 kills, 25 assists, 10 digs, 2.5 blocks
- Payton Hart – 8 kills, 18 digs
- Abby Armold – 9 kills, 3.0 blocks
- Bridget Downs – 28 digs
- AJ McDonald – 6 kills 3.5 blocks
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Rachel Vendl notched 3 service aces–matching a season high.
- The Pilots nearly rallied from a 16-8 deficit in the second set, getting as close as 23-21 before losing two of the final three rallies.
- The Pilots committed double-digit service errors for the fourth-consecutive match, faulting on 11 serves in the match.
- The Pilots made double-digit total blocks for the fifth match this season. They came into the match ranked No. 27 in the NAIA in total blocks.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots travel to Livonia, Michigan on Friday and Saturday to take part in the Julie Martin Classic hosted by Madonna University. They face their first of four opponents over the weekend, Doane (Neb.), on Friday at 5:00 pm.
THOUGHTS FROM COACH WEISS
- “We proved tonight that we have what it takes to compete well in our conference. We won’t stop working until we are winning these games. This Pilot team is unified, strong, and scrappy. We will develop into something great.”