FINAL: #5/6 Iowa 97, North Carolina Central 67
- Iowa has won its last ten season openers, dating back to the 2011-12 season.
- A Luka Garza dunk with 16:43 left in the second half was his 20th point of the game and career point No. 1,579, passing Dean Oliver and Adam Haluska for 10th in Iowa all-time scoring. The All-American has tallied 20 points or more in 17 straight games, dating back to last season. The 17-game streak is the longest in Division I since Oklahoma’s Trae Young had an 18-game streak in 2017-18. Garza finished today’s contest with 26 points and 10 rebounds in only 24 minutes of action, his first double-double of the season and 21st of his career.
- Iowa has won 14 of its last 15 games inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena, dating back to last season.
- Joe Wieskamp made his first five free throws to extend his consecutive free throws made streak to 27, dating back to last season, before missing in the second half.
- Iowa got separation from NCCU by virtue of a 20-2 scoring run spanning 8:49 in the first half.
- Iowa improves to 2-0 all-time against North Carolina Central.
Iowa returns to action Friday against Southern University. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.