ELGIN, Ill. – The Indiana University South Bend baseball team knocked off top-seeded Judson University on Friday night in the opening round of the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament.
- Score: IU South Bend def. Judson, 8-5
- Records: IU South Bend 23-24 | Judson 37-18
- Location: Elgin, Illinois | Robert A. Hoffer Field
- Josh Fry (SO/Mishawaka, Indiana) drew a bases loaded walk to put the Titans ahead 1-0 in the fourth inning. Shortly after, Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) blasted his 20th home run of the year to give IU South Bend a 2-0 lead.
- The Eagles got a run back in the bottom of the sixth inning after Alex Galik crossed the plate on a passed ball.
- Tanner Wesp (FR/Charlestown, Indiana) added to the Titans lead in the eighth as he launched a three-run homer to give IU South Bend a 5-1 lead.
- Back-to-back singles that led to a run followed by back-to-back walks chased IU South Bend starter Trey Bickel (SR/Mishawaka, Indiana) from the game in the bottom of the eighth inning with the score 5-2 in favor of the Titans.
- Bickel finished the night allowing two runs on three hits and striking out eight Eagle batters.
- Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) came on in relief for the Titans and issued a bases loaded walk to make it a 5-3 game in the eighth.
- A bases loaded double from David Matthews knotted the game at five in the bottom of the eighth.
- Mangus gave the Titans the lead back in the top of the ninth after a single to left field was misplayed by Judson, allowing Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) to score after a walk.
- Nick Kellams (JR/Dyer, Indiana) drove in a run with an RBI double to give IU South Bend a 7-5 lead in the top of the ninth inning.
- Zack Lazenby (JR/Chesterfield, Missouri) singled to the shortstop to add to the Titans lead in the ninth.
- Gonzalez shut the door in the bottom of the ninth for the Titans.
- Mangus finished 3-for-4 with two RBI while Wesp recorded three RBI in the win.
- IU South Bend will take on St. Xavier at 2:30 p.m. ET tomorrow in the winner’s bracket after the Cougars defeated Purdue Northwest in the CCAC Tournament opener.