MISHAWAKA – The Bethel University men’s basketball team used a dominant performance by Grant Gelon to cruise to a 105-73 win over Lawrence Tech on Saturday afternoon. Gelon scored 42 points, including 9-of-12 from three-point range, to help the Pilots’ to their 13th win of the season and continue their undefeated start. The Pilots have now won 19-straight games against the Wolverine Hoosier Athletic Conference.
- Score: Bethel def. Lawrence Tech 105-73
- Records: Bethel (13-0) | Lawrence Tech (7-6)
- NAIA Top 25 Coaches’ Poll: Bethel – No. 9 | Lawrence Tech – not rated
- Location: Wiekamp Athletic Center | Bethel University | Mishawaka, Ind.
- Grant Gelon – 42 pts, 9 reb, 9-of-12 3-pt, 3 stl
- TreVion Crews – 11 pts, 7 ast, 2 stl
- Maxwell Newman – 6 pts, 9 reb, 4 blk
- Jared DeHart – 8 pts, 5 ast
- Filip Segota – 6 pts, 8 reb
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Grant Gelon scored a career-high 42 points on 13-of-17 from the field. It is the fifth-most points in a single game in program history. His 9 three-pointers made is tied for second-most in a single game in program history.
- Jared DeHart dished out a career-high 7 assists.
- The Pilots hit a season-best 51.7-percent from the three-point line (15-of-29) for the second game in a row. They have made double-digit three-point field goals in nine games this season and are shooting 39.7-percent from range this season as a team.
- The Pilots have held a double-digit lead in all 13 games this season. They led by as many as 39 with 7:38 remaining in the game.
- The Pilots reached at least 90 points for the eleventh time this season and for the eighth-straight game. They are averaging 96.2 points per game this season—their highest in a single-season since 1998-99 (100.2).
- The Pilots are off to their fifth-best start in program history.
- The Pilots travel to Chicago on Monday and Tuesday to compete in the Roosevelt New Year’s Classic. They will take on host Roosevelt on Monday at 6:00 pm ET and St. Francis (Ill.) on Tuesday at 4:00 pm ET to close out the 2019 calendar year and non-conference play. Both games are available on RRSN.com
THOUGHTS FROM COACH DRABYN
- “I am really proud of our guys with the effort, enthusiasm, and unselfishness that they played with tonight. We had seven days off of practice before getting back together a couple days ago and it was obvious our guys got in the gym during their time off. That shows their dedication to our team. I thought everyone on our team brought value to the game today and 23 assists shows our unselfishness as a team. Grant Gelon deserves to have the kind of night he did because he puts a lot of extra time in the gym. And our team was fired up for him, which shows the kind of teammate he is. We need to use this game as a steppingstone and keep getting better.”