Pilots Advance to D2 Quarterfinals with Win
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The Bethel College Pilots men’s rugby team continued their quest for a USA Rugby D2 National Championship by opening up tournament play with a 37-17 win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Saturday afternoon. Nick Chevalier continues to extend his single season and career total scoring records with 17 points on the day to up his totals to 113 and 151, respectively, while Sujai Ikemefuna set the single season record for tries scored with his 13th this year to secure the round of 16 win over the No. 17 team in the country.
- Score: Bethel def. UW Milwaukee 37-17
- Records: Bethel (8-1)
- USA D2 National Rankings: Bethel – No. 7 | UW Milwaukee – No. 17
- Location: Field 2 | Scott Boulevard Fields | Columbia, Mo.
- BC – Ethan Glasscock try; Nick Chevalier conversion (7-0)
- BC – Ethan Glasscock try; Nick Chevalier conversion (14-0)
- UWM – Try; conversion (14-7)
- UWM – Try (14-12)
- BC – Nick Chevalier penalty kick (17-12)
- BC – David Puntney try (22-12)
- UWM – Try (22-17)
- BC – Nick Chevalier try; Nick Chevalier conversion (29-17)
- BC – Nick Chevalier penalty kick (32-17)
- BC – Sujai Ikemefuna try (37-17)
QUOTES FROM COACH GADIA
- “Our team showed some maturity and resiliency during this match. UW Milwaukee was a tough team that controlled the possession of the ball throughout the first half and capitalized on our penalties. In the face of adversity and challenge our guys rose up again and answered the call in the second half, controlling the game and playing our style of rugby. This allowed us to shift the momentum and get the win.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Pilots take on two-time defending national champion and No. 1-seeded Wisconsin-Whitewater on Sunday at 11:45 am ET for a trip to the USA Rugby D2 semifinals in Charlotte, N.C. on December 1.